~Mar 20

Not related to the story, but this is was Untitled Part 69 and i said heheh nice before i could stop myself, so i am going to retire from the internet until i regain my honor

Eventually, he wound up in a small village. No one really noticed him, for which he was grateful; at least, the small part of him that still could feel anything besides grief and resentment. He was tired. Putting one foot in front of another was getting harder than it should be. He was almost oblivious to all his surroundings. Almost, but not quite. He'd stumbled and was leaning against a wall in an alleyway, catching his breath. He heard a small gasp, and a soft hand upon his arm. He jerked out of reach, distrustful. He turned his head to look at the newcomer. He lifted up his eyes, and who should he see but Miryanna, looking back at him, confusion and concern written all over her face. Iphnis was surprised as well, but he couldn't think of how or why she was at the same place he was. He was utterly spent.

Of Course he's utterly spent he's been walking around on empty for A MONTH.

Oh Miryanna, fancy meeting you here

"Iphnis?" Miryanna asked, her eyes searching his face for recognition.

"Miryanna," was all he could reply, before collapsing from exhaustion. He knew no more.

Miryanna was confused. What was Iphnis doing here? How did he get to the state he was in? He was dirty, his clothes were torn, and he was in all ways unlike the bright, carefree Gnome Miryanna once knew. But it was him. She recognized him, and from what she could tell, he recognized her too. How he came to be in his current state was a mystery to Miryanna. She just knew that she had to help him. He obviously needed it. She glanced around, and thankfully not too many people had noticed, or were looking her way. There was a street performer doing some juggling tricks, and that was where most people's attention was. That was also where her companion was.

"Kar," She called, no over loudly.

Eww a nickname

Karayan turned around from where he was at the back of the crowd, and saw her and the bedraggled heap she was kneeling besides. His brows furrowed in concern, and he jogged over to her. "What is it?" He asked.

"It's Iphnis," Miryanna replied, hoisting him up so Karayan could see him.

He gasped, "What?" He turned a questioning gaze at Miryanna.

She just shrugged, "I don't know how he got here, or how he got in such a state, but it's him. And he needs our help." She explained. "Could you take him?" She asked.

Karayan nodded and took Iphnis from her.

"Good. Are you sure you can handle him?" She asked, concerned for some of his still healing injuries.

Karayan shifts Iphnis in his arms, and shrugs, "I'll be fine," He reassures.

I'll be real, i have the vaguest idea of the severities of his injuries and even less of an idea of how long it would take to heal and what kind of medical care they had so idk if he'd be fine by a month.

Miryanna nodded, not entirely convinced, but too worried about Iphnis right now to care.

They brought him back to their horses, tied to a post. Karayan deposited Iphnis on his horse, and mounted up behind him, supporting him with an arm across his chest. Miryanna mounted Dustu, and they rode off. They kept a slow pace, and Miryanna kept Dustu right besides Karayan, lest he fall or something.

He'd recovered in body surprisingly quickly, she guessed it was a trait from the Amani blood, but had gotten barely any of his memories back. And the ones that did return were unpleasant. He still didn't know what he had been, but he was getting closer every day. He would sometimes ask her about certain professions and if he had been any of them. Some she would dismiss right away, telling him he wasn't, but others were close; too close, and might trigger something. Something that maybe shouldn't be triggered.

side note, there's no way the cook and the gardener don't know about the other guest in the house but do i care? I didn't at least

Miryanna had been somewhat resentful that Iphnis had left that one morning without a word, without even goodbye, as she'd been counting on him to help her with Karayan's memory. She hadn't known quite what to do with him, but nothing bad had happened, so she assumed she was doing right. Andarin had proved to be a great help, as always, and after Iphnis left, she didn't know what she'd do without him.

of course miryanna didn't know what to do i'm sorry my girl

Four weeks, a month, had passed since Iphnis left. Karayan was doing well, well enough to ride with her to the small village near the Estate to pick up some food and other things at the market.