~Mar 14

The weeks that followed were miserable for Iphnis. He was forced to take the human's roads back down the mountains and further south, and that meant human interaction. Something he did not care for at the moment. He was tempted to be bitter about humans, a it was technically their fault that he was cast out in the first place. But he couldn't stay that way. It would only lead to more grief. Besides, if it was anyone's fault, it was his. They didn't know that he had to be back before a certain time, and that was because he'd never told them. Of course, telling the humans about the customs of the Gnomes would have resulted in sure punishment, but mayhap nothing so serious as banishment. So it was his fault. All of it. His family blamed him, and he deserved it.

really nothing is making sense about iphnis and his reasoning about anything right now, and that could make sense in the story, considering what a blow he just received, but this wasn't me being clever author, it was me being stupid author

He was able to avoid much clashing with the humans, for which he was thankful. In one respect, Gnomes and humans were alike: If you left them alone, they'd leave you alone. Iphnis made no attempt at communication, and the humans ignored him. Probably taking him for a beggar or wanderer, for he still wore his travelling clothes, which were stained and muddy, and he downcast in expression and mood.

Always the one alone longs for mercy, the Maker's mildness, though troubled in mind....

there are too many translations of that. i should just learn the original old english version

Rain had come up from the south, but Iphnis ignored it and kept on his way. Rain was no bother to him, though his clothes get soaked through, and his boots get terribly muddy, at least his pack was waterproof.

The rest of the travellers he'd come across so far along the road had ignored him, for which he was thankful, until one party of traders, they looked to be, Whose heavily loaded wagon had slipped into a rut at the far side of the road, and they were struggling to get it out. One of the four men straining at getting it out called to him and waved him over.

"Hey, beggar, give a hand to better folk," he called rudely.

rude

Iphnis eyed him for a moment before answering, "I have business of my own," he said and continued walking.

"Oi! You dare talk that way to me?" The man called after him, scrambling up from the ditch.

ahhh clasism strikes again

Iphnis ignored him, not wanting to get involved in anything.

A hand roughly grabbed his shoulder, yanking him backwards. Iphnis whirled around to face his delayer, freeing his shoulder from captivity.

The man tried to grab him again, and Iphnis ducked quickly, his hand now on the hilt of his knife. The man was now enraged that someone he'd thought to be a simple beggar had defied him twice now would do it again. The other three men had now also come onto the road to see if their master needed any help with this difficult person.

They surrounded him. Iphnis was surprised that they were going this much out of their way just to subdue someone who'd talked back to them and didn't do what they wanted. Were humans really this stuck up? Not all, at least. They all lunged for him at once, but Iphnis ducked and sun out of the way through a gap in their circle.

man i really took any opportunity i could to insert the ugh humans thing

"Are you really going through this much trouble just because I wouldn't do as you asked?" He questioned.