Chapter 49: Unforeseen Truths

Începe de la început

Blake: "But how do we do that?"

Sun: "You know her better than I do." He sips his drink. "My best guess is to badger her as much as possible and show her how Adam's actions have hurt the Faunus. But first, you have to get her to listen. Let's just hope she doesn't fall in love with you in the process like you did for him."

Blake: "Y-Yeah..." she says with a red face at remembering Y/N's goofy grin.

Oscar's POV

Oscar: "Hiyah! *huff* *huff*"

After training for an hour straight, the former farmhand is out of breath.

Ruby: "You're really getting better, huh?" The young team leader descends the stairs into the training room where he's at, surprising him. "Are you hungry?"

Oscar: "Uh, yeah. That sounds good. I was about to call it a night anyway."

Ruby: "So, you've never fought before?"

Oscar: "Just the occasional small Grimm. Nothing like this, though.

Ruby: "Wow, you look like a natural."

Oscar: "It's strange." he says looking at his cane. "I've only had this cane for a few weeks, but... I feel like I've had it for a lifetime. Maybe even longer. I sound like a crazy person..."

Ruby: "I mean, uh, yeah, just a little. But as long as you keep training, you'll get stronger. Just keep training..." she pulls back a little, which he notices. "Well, uh, I'll see you upstairs."

Oscar: "How do you handle all of this?" he says abruptly.

Ruby: "What do you mean?"

Oscar: "I'm... scared. I'm more scared than I've ever been in my life, than I ever thought was possible." He starts walking towards the weapon rack and his backpack. "I always knew that I wanted to be more than a farmhand, but this? Who would ask for this?"

His eyes start to water a little, but he wipes away his tears and packs up the cane.

Ruby: "We all went to Beacon because we wanted to help people, but, you're right. None of us asked for this either. We just have to press on and-"

Oscar: "How can you be so confident!?" he interrupts. "People have tried to kill you! The world's about to go to war all over again! How are you okay with any of this!?" he frantically speaks.

Her face goes from one of shock to sadness.

Ruby: "I very nearly lost my friends during the Fall of Beacon. My sister lost her arm, Pyrrha and Penny nearly killed each other and... We've all told you stories about Y/N, right? The night Beacon fell, we all thought he lost his life saving my friends Penny and Pyrrha. We carried him from the arena to the airship. He died right in front of me. During his fight, he was forced to go beyond his limits and with little rest, he fought through the pain to save them. I could tell by the look on his face how much pain he was in, but he kept going. Even as he was bleeding out, he had a smile on his face."

Oscar: "But I thought he was still alive?"

Ruby: "Yes, he was. He clawed his way from death itself. And you know what he did?"

Oscar: "What?"

Ruby: "He got right back up and started fighting again. Even after everything he went through, he kept fighting. I can't imagine how much of a wreck he was on the inside. Later, he sacrificed parts of his own body to protect everyone. That's how far he was willing to go."

Oscar: "I can't even imagine..."

Ruby: "I am scared. I'm not nearly as powerful as he is. I know that. But... if he fails..." she hesitates. "If he fails, I know it's up to me. I'm scared, but not just for me. What happened at Beacon shows that Salem doesn't care if you're standing against her or not. She'll kill anybody, and that scares me most of all. Whenever I see the parts of him he sacrificed, I'm reminded of when I couldn't protect him. He protected all of us and paid a price and I regret not being able to protect him from it. I remember all of the lives I couldn't save, but I'm not going to let that stop me. I'm going to do like he would and keep moving forward on my own two legs."