Chapter Fifty One

After the rebels had calmed down, the handful of leaders including you and Taeru met in the center of the chamber to discuss a battle plan. It was simple, but effective.

The rebels had three days to gather their weapons and prepare for the attack. The plan was meant to make a statement, to draw attention to the small, quiet Land of Shadows no one ever heard about. To hopefully make larger countries like the Land of Fire question the Council's authority. It was not built on the notion of a miraculous success, but the hope to make the people's dissent known. Make all of the rebels' names known.

The last rebel handed you their handwritten note, nodding to you in acknowledgement.

"Make sure we're not forgotten."

You clasped her hand, holding it tightly. "I swear they will remember your name." You let go and she smiled grimly at you before exiting the repository.

Soon, it was only you and Taeru left.

"You've done good here, (Y/N). You've done good." The old man patted you on the shoulder a smile lighting his lined face.

You looked at the satchel of letters at Taeru's feet, each one holding precious final notes from the rebels. "We're making history, aren't we?"

Taeru set his eyes on the bag as well, eyes deep in thought. "We are changing history."

You looked up at him. "Thank you, for everything."

The old man shook his head. "No, I should be thanking you. For bringing us hope."

You scoffed. "I have done no such thing. You sent me to the Land of Fire to bring back an army, I returned empty handed. I am Hopekiller."

Taeru gripped your shoulders, forcing you to look into his bright bronze eyes. "You tried your best, you did more than any of us have ever done for this rebellion. The Land of Fire chose not to help us. You did not. It was never your decision." His eyes were living embers. "But this- you chose not to allow your failures define the future of our land. You chose to find another way. You chose to fight." He let go of you, his eyes never leaving yours. "You are our hope. You have always been. Since you were born with eyes of violet. You are the last Murasakino, the last of a legendary warrior-clan. You are a guardian of Shadows. You are Hopebringer."

You were speechless. You must have looked ridiculous, like a fish choking on air.

Taeru only smiled and gathered up the satchel, slinging it over a shoulder. "Until we meet again. (Y/N) of Shadows." And then he was gone.

You fell to your knees. You didn't know what just happened. You went from Hopekiller to Hopebringer. You were not a failure. You failed no one. You were a fighter, a warrior. A protector of the Land of Shadows. And you cried.

This was it, this was the end. And after what Taeru said, it wouldn't be what you expected. You were ready to die alone and hopeless. You were ready to sink into the depths of hell, maybe dragging a few Council members with you. But perhaps hell was not your fate. Maybe you deserved better...

You stood up, wiped the tears away. It didn't matter anymore. This needed to end. You were tired of pretending to be the Council's lapdog. It was time for them to see who you really were. You would make them pay for what they've done to your people. To you parents. Your aunt.

In three days, you would die.

In three days, the Council would feel the wrath of the Violet Phantom and her rebel army.