Chapter 12

Surah Ar – Rum, 30:55

وَيَوْمَ تَقُومُ السَّاعَةُ يُقْسِمُ الْمُجْرِمُونَ مَا لَبِثُوا غَيْرَ سَاعَةٍ كَذَلِكَ كَانُوا يُؤْفَكُونَ

Wa Yawma taquumus-Saa-‘atu yuqsimul-mujrimuuna maa labithuu ghayra saa-‘a: kazaalika kaanuu yu’-fakuun!

He it is who will cause you to die, and in time will resurrect you. And when the Last Hour dawns, those who had been lost in sin will swear that they had not tarried (on earth) longer than an hour: thus were they wont to delude themselves (all their lives)!

***

Rehan stared in the air, lost in his own world. He had no idea what was going on and around him. He was still finding it hard to believe what Rida had said or had asked his advise for. He was getting ready to start his first day in office after a long time with lots of excited when he saw her message. He was actually shocked to see Rida messaging him in the morning but when he had read what she had said he had gone numb. He didn't knew what it was that was bothering him the most; the fact that he couldn't help giving proper advise to her or the fact that Rida was about to get married.

Rehan groaned in frustration to only jump at the sight in front of him. He held his hands up on his chest and sighed in relief.

"You scared me." He whispered and sat down glaring at Kaif who was seated in front of him with a questioning look.

"I am here from the last 15 minutes and you realise it just now?" Kaif asked with his eyebrow raised and Rehan was actually surprised at the piece of information that he had received. Had he been so involved in his thoughts that he hadn't even heard the opening and closing of the door? Shaking his head he concentrated on his laptop that had a blank screen avoiding Kaif's questioning gaze.

"What's the matter?" Kaif asked and Rehan shook his head vigorously not wanting to speak about his thoughts or rather Rida's proposal.

"Nothing's wrong. Everything is perfectly alright." Rehan said now busy looking at the presentation of the upcoming events. Kaif did not push Rehan any further because he knew this time it was something serious and he respected Rehan's privacy; If he wanted to speak about what was bothering him, he would be there for him.

"So what are we going to do with this proposal?" Kaif asked referring to Mr Malhotra's deal with the company that would be very benefitting to them if successful.

"I don't know do whatever your heart tells you." Rehan said not realising what he spoke, making Kaif to look at him confused.

"What?" Kaif asked and Rehan looked up at him realising what had slipped through his tongue.

"Ahh sorry, I wasn't paying attention to what you said, by the way what were you speaking about?" Rehan said trying his best to change the topic but he could see the doubtful eyes on him that were being held for a minute or two or that was what he thought.

"I think you need rest." Kaif said after a long moment of silence while Rehan nodded his head agreeing. He didn't knew why his mind was so messed up but he knew if he stayed in the office he would not be able to concentrate on anything other then 'the proposal'.

Kaif waited for a minute and then left his cabin after saying his salaam. He looked at Rehan through the glass door who now had his head in his hand. He was confused and worried about Rehan who looked upset and without any second thought he dialled the number he knew would at least knew what was wrong with this young lad.