Chapter 19 - Complicated Emotions

Misty screamed again. She broke out of her memory. But she still couldn't command her body to move. She found herself in a dark room.
    "How'd you get out so soon?" A familiar voice demanded. Why did it sound so familiar? Why was she talking to Misty? And why was she talking to her through her own mouth?
    "I... what?" Misty asked, still dazed.
    "You broke out?" The girl's voice barked. "How? I swear I set that on reloop!"
    "Reloop?" Misty echoed. "Broke out?"
    The girl sighed. The sigh came out of Misty's mouth. Misty was trapped, she remembered. "Don't you get it?" She asked. "I made you smarter than this!"
    Misty's body flinched.
    "Made me?" Misty echoed again.
    "Are... are you just going to keep repeating what I say, or...?"
    "No, no," Misty reassured the force that had taken over her body. Then she remembered. This girl was the Author's Spirit and she had... taken over LunaStar's body as well? "I just... What you're saying isn't making any sense!"
    "How'd you get out?" The Author's Spirit repeated.
    "OUT OF WHAT?!" Misty screamed.
    "Out of... your own mind, I guess," the Author's Spirit answered.
    "You guess?" Misty demanded.
Someone else screamed.
    "ALLY!" It screamed. "I'M SORRY!"
    Misty, inside her mind, flinched at the sudden noise. "Who was that?" The scream sounded so... close? Why?
    "You don't recognize her voice?" The Author's Spirit sighed out.
    Misty felt stupid. It was LunaStar's voice!
    Before Misty could even begin to say her realization, the Author's Spirit exclaimed, "There you go! And don't you go forgetting what I told you before."
    "I won't," Misty promise. She wanted to try something first, though, before she went silent again. "LunaStar!" She called out. "Can you hear me? Luna?"
    "What?" LunaStar exclaimed, startled. Her voice gave way to the fear LunaStar was feeling.
    "Can you hear me?" Misty called out.
    "Yes, I can!" LunaStar snapped. "God, you don't have to be so fucking loud."
    "O-oh, okay," Misty agreed.
    "Back from the dead, Luna?" The Author's Spirit asked slyly.
    "I--I--" LunaStar stuttered. An overwhelming fear tumbled through Misty. "You--he--"
    "Now, that you've come back earlier than I expected, I can't turn either of you around," The Author's Spirit announced. "So--"
    "What the fuck were you doing behind us?" LunaStar demanded. "Who the fuck is behind us? What the actual fuck are you doing?!" Another wave of emotion trampled Misty. It mingled with her own confused, somewhat dazed, and her own anger.
Misty's body shrugged. Out of the corner of her suit's eye, she thought she saw another suit shrug, as well. A black suit.
    LunaStar's?
    "I can't show you," the Author's Spirit simply said.
    "You can't?" Misty barked, struggling against the wave of strong anger she felt.
    "Yuuup," the Author's Spirit answered, dragging out the word. This infuriated LunaStar even more apparently, because another wave of anger washed over Misty.
    She struggled to push the anger down; to not act upon it. Misty remembered the last time she felt this angry: she had locked LunaStar up in the upstairs with a shock system. LunaStar had been trapped upstairs for... for a long time.
    "You turn us the fuck around, Author!" LunaStar demanded.
   "Nu-uh," The Author's Spirit answered. "No can do."
    Misty felt suddenly frightened. "D... did you do something to Ghost?" She paused. "Or to Ally?"
    The anger died down and fear replaced it. The Author's Spirit didn't reply.
    "Well?" LunaStar barked.
    The Author's Spirit sighed again. "Your... "friends"... are okay," she answered.
    Confusion.
    "What's that supposed to mean?" Misty and LunaStar asked.
   Misty felt LunaStar roll her eyes.
Misty's body winked. "You'll see."
    Help me.
    "What are you going to do to our friends?!" Misty shouted.
    No answer.
    "AUTHOR!" LunaStar screamed.
    Another long pause. Something clicked. "Annnd, there."
    And then Misty's world went black. LunaStar screamed again before being cut off.

    LunaStar startled awake. She found herself in a dark room.
    Chuckling.
    Fear.
    Fear that wasn't her own. Misty's?
    Where was that fox? The last thing she heard was... her screaming.
    "Luna?" Misty asked.
    LunaStar grunted as a reply.
    "L-Luna?" Misty called out again.
    "I'm here?" LunaStar called back.
    "C... can you hear me?" Her voice sounded small. Scared.
    "If this is a fucking joke, Misty, I swear I'll t-tear you apart!" LunaStar growled. Of course, LunaStar was still terrified of Misty. The fox had locked her upstairs with a shock system and smiled when it shocked her!
    "LUNA?" Misty screamed. "GHOST?" A pause. "Hello?"
    LunaStar gave up. Misty couldn't hear her. The black cat animatronic sighed. She tried to move and found that she could.
    What LunaStar assumed to be the Author's Spirit had let her control her own body again. Relieved beyond belief that she didn't murder anyone and that she could move again, LunaStar almost jumped around with delight. Almost.
    Her eyes lit up with the happiness and relief she felt.
    "Ghost?" Came Misty's small voice.
    She sounds so scared, LunaStar thought, satisfied with how scared Misty felt. But then LunaStar, for the countless time, put herself in Misty's shoes. Going through something horrible, getting out of it, then not being able to hear anyone she knew.
    Could Misty even hear?
    A wave of worthlessness, panic, and fear washed over LunaStar. It startled the cat animatronic. She rubbed her hook nervously.
    Why did she feel this way? She felt her growing agitation as new feelings came, and went, increased, and decreased. But... these weren't her feelings. The main one was confusion.
    And fear.
    Lots and lots of fear.
    LunaStar jumped up, startled, when she swore she saw something moving in the corner of her eye. She turned quickly, careful not to cut her suit even more with her hook, and attempted to see what was there. But no one was there.
    LunaStar concluded that her eyes were playing tricks on her. They had been... glitchy - for lack of better terms - even since the... the... the memory. The Author's Spirit's memory. LunaStar's memory.
    Anger rose. It flashed away for a few seconds, then came back.
    Why are emotions so complicated?
Why were emotions that weren't her own sourcing through her as if they were?
    Were Misty and LunaStar somehow connected emotionally? And what about the mind-reading? The Author's Spirit claimed that she was letting LunaStar read Misty's thoughts. But then Misty started reading LunaStar's thoughts.
    So... was that all a lie? LunaStar looked up.
    She locked eyes with a human. They were looking down at her with unreadable expressions.
    What the FUCK? LunaStar thought, startled.
    Her eyes glitched again and she saw the humans look... startled? Scared? Excited? LunaStar couldn't tell.
    "Who the fuck are you?" LunaStar called to them.
    No one answered. A few exchanged knowing looks while the others just stared at her.
    Were they watching her? Could they read her mind? Maybe--
    LunaStar trail of thought was cut off abruptly as she was shut down.

    A girl quietly swore to herself. "Great." She sighed, annoyed. "No way to fix this." The girl looked up and saw the readers.
    "No!" She screamed with frustration. "How could she see you? HOW?!"
    Some of the readers shrugged, some looked confused, some looked scared, but others looked like they saw this coming. Like they got the hints she'd been putting down.
    They'd been vague, yes. But they'd been there.
    "Okay," the teenager sighed out. "Who broke it?"
    No reader stepped forward.
    "Do you know how long it takes to fix the Fourth Wall?" She demanded.
    "Splashfire, it's--" a reader started.
    "Did YOU do it?!" The teenage author screamed, cutting off the reader.
    The reader that spoke shook their head.
    "No," a voice said. "I did."
    The teenage author spun around and saw what looked like a... a dog aninatronic.
    The author tilted her head at it.
    "Remember me?" He asked.
    The teenager's eyes widened. "Randy?" She croaked out.
    "Yup," he confirmed.
    "THIS ISN'T GOING ACCORDING TO PLAN AT ALL!" She screamed. "Why can't I just write a book and have it go right?"
    He looked smug. His eyes lit up at the Author's frustration. He smiled in the face of what was to come. He knew what she was going to do.