Chapter 17 - Memories

Misty watched in horror as her body moved without her telling it to. LunaStar looked suddenly calm. She got off the floor. Misty and LunaStar moved in unison.
    "Ally!" Misty tried to call out. But no sound came out of her mouth.
She was trapped. Again. Panic filled her. Misty suddenly felt light; the familiar feeling of a repressed memory breaking through the walls she'd built.

    A smile broke through. A twisted, sadistic smile. Madison looked around the room. The dark, empty room. The air smelt damp.
    Something glinted. Madison looked down. The glint of a knife. Stained with blood. Laughing. Someone was crying. She was crying.
    Madison forced herself to look around. She could finally breathe. Oh, what had she done? The knife was in her hands. She was clutching the knife.
Violet. Where was Violet? Why wasn't she here? She'd promised. Why was she holding a knife? WHAT HAD SHE DONE?! Madison looked around and saw... no one.
    The air smelt dank. Violet came around the corner. Madison's older sister came running to where she stood.
    "Madison!" Violet said. And there she was, hugging her sister.
    Suddenly, Violey ripped away. "Mady! A blood-stained knife!" She frowned.
    Madison only looked back down at the knife.
    "Okay, where's the body?" Violet asked.
    "What?!" Madison gasped.
    "The body," Violet repeated. "I'll help you hide it."
    "I--I didn't kill anyone!" Madison stuttered, scared.
    Violet shook her head. "You're covered in blood."
    She was? Madison felt light. She tried to get up, but stumbled. Violet caught her.
    Oh no. Oh no, oh no, oh no! She murdered someone? Madison looked down at her clothes; they were covered in blood. Dried blood.
    Madison started to cry. How could I of let this happen? She thought.
    "Hey, hey," Violet soothed the sobbing and scared Madison. "It's going to be okay. Innocent until proven guilty."
    "But I know I'm guilty!" Madison sobbed. "I'm the one covered in blood!"
     Violet didn't say anything else. She just stared at Madison, probably wondering what to do next.
    "Where am I?" Madison questioned, trying to piece together what happened.
     But Violet looked confused. "You're in... the storage room in our house. You wanted me to come, and I didn't know why - now I do."
    Madison started to sob again.
"We'll have to burn your clothes, find the body, hide the evidence - we'll probably have to burn those, too," Violet said, listing what they'd have to do.
    Madison sniffed. "How do you know how to do all that?" She questioned.
    Violet shrugged as if this was no big deal. "I watch a lot of police shows," she answered.
    "So then you must know that we'll eventually get caught, right?" Madison whispered.
    "Don't think like that," Violet interrupted. "We're not going to get caught."
    "How are you so calm?" Madison demanded. "How are you so calm? I just MURDERED someone! And you're okay with that?!"
    "I mean, no.... I'm not," Violet answered. "But I'm here to help with... this."
    "Are Mom and Dad home?" Madison asked. Violet flinched. "I--I mean--" Madison tried to correct herself.
    Violet cut her younger sister off. "I know what you mean," she sighed out, saddened. "Let's go.... get you changed."
    Madison followed Violet out of the room. Her legs felt shaky. The siblings had been living with their grandparents since... since...
    She didn't want to relive it. Not again.

    Violet took Madison's clothes (She had put on pajamas) and threw them in the fire pit in their grandparents' backyard. They hadn't found a body, which worried the siblings. Violet took a match box out of her pocket, lit the match, then threw it in the pit. The bloody clothes almost immediately caught fire. Madison had found many small cuts on her arms, but nothing deep.
    Madison had told Violet about the cuts.
    "Maybe the... person fought back?" Violet had offered.
    Madison was still freaking out. She was hyperventilating. "Th... that doesn't matter! I... k--killed someone...!"
    "Woah, woah, okay. Mad, you need to breathe," Violet attempted to calm Madison down. "Breathe. You didn't kill anyone. We didn't find a body."
    "They... they c--could've gotten away!" Madison had insisted. "They could... id--identify m-m-me!"
    "There was no one there," Violet kept insisting. "You need to calm down."
    "How... how... could I... calm down?!" Madison had shouted.
    "We're going to burn the evidence," Violet had recalled.
    And now, here the siblings were, staring at the burning clothes.  Madison felt she was trapped - trapped in a loop, a trance.
    She couldn't breathe again. Madison started coughing. Violet turned around, startled.
    "Madison?" Violet asked. "Madison! Are you okay? Mady?" Then Madison was being hugged. "You need to breathe. You need to calm down. Breathe. Listen to my voice. You're okay. You're fine. Your cuts will heal, this moment will be forgotten. Eventually. It's going to be okay. You need to breathe. Listen to me. You're okay. Breathe. Relax."
    Madison listened to Violet's voice. She tried to breathe and, slowly, she could. She took in air, thankful.
    "I need to go," Madison announced. "I... need to sleep." She turned around and ran back to their grandparent's house.
    Madison threw open the door to the house, shut it behind her, ran into her room, and shut the door. She threw the blankets off her bed and threw herself under them. She started to cry again.
    After what could've easily been an hour, Madison's door gently opened. "Madison?" A soft voice asked.
    Madison didn't answer. By now, Madison had been softly crying.
    "I came to check up on you," the voice continued. "Violet said you were in distress. Do you want to talk about it?"
    Madison started to cry harder. As a response, she pulled the blankets further over her head. "No," she whispered. She didn't think she could.
    "Do you want to come sleep with your sister, or your grandfather and I?" Grandma continued.
   "I--I want to sl... sleep with Violet," Madison answered. "B... but I want her in here."
    "Okay," Grandma said, retreating footsteps telling Madison that her grandmother was getting Violet.
    A few minutes later, Madison's door opened again. Footsteps told Madison that Violet was approaching the bed. Madison turned to look at Violet and was surprised to see Eizabeth walking behind Violet.
    Madison had stopped crying. Her throat hurt. "Elizabeth?" Madison asked.
    "Hi," Elizabeth greeted her, almost sheepishly.
    Without thinking, Madison got out of bed and hugged Eliabeth and Violet.
    "Oh, okay, guess we're hugging now," Violet joked.
    "Yeah," Madison answered.
    "I heard what happened," Elizabeth said. "How are you feeling?"
    Madison froze. She tensed up. "I--" she started, only to cut herself off. "I--" she tried again. Madison just barely held back tears.
    No one said anything for a long time after the hug was done and over with. The trio headed to Madison's bed wordlessly.
    "Elizabeth, wh... what are you doing here?" Madison asked.
    Elizabeth looked tired, as if she wasn't sleeping well. She gave Madison a small smile. "How are you feeling?" She asked, completely avoiding the question.
    "I'm.... I've been better," Madison answered. "I... I just ki--"
    "It's been a rough night," Violet interrupted. "Madison asked me to meet her in a room in the house, and when I found her, she had... cuts on her arms."
    Madison shuddered. Violet was holding back information. It was like lieing. Madison hated lieing, but didn't have the energy to object to what Violet was saying.
    Madison's cuts now stung, so she winced.
    "You okay?" Violet asked her.
    "Fine," Madison simply replied. "Just... tired."
    "Do you want us to stay in your room?" Elizabeth asked Madison.
    Madison was getting back under the covers. "If you want," she told her friend and older sister. Honestly, Madison wanted them to stay, but she'd feel guilty if she said 'Yes,' and didn't really give them a choice. So, if they refused, Madison would hide her hurt and say, 'I understand. Good night.'
    But both Violet and Elizabeth reassured Madison that they wanted to stay. This wasn't the answer Madison was expecting, so she didn't know how to respond.
    "Th-thanks," she managed to stutter out. Madison forced a small smile. "I'm going to try to sleep now. Feel free to... umm.... do whatever."
    And with that, with the reassurance that she wasn't alone, almost as soon as Madison got comfortable, she fell asleep.