Chapter 9: Memories and Dreams

Blair slipped through the open door with the last couple of guests, she scuttled through the crowd and gaped at the magical sight. The massive home was decorated from top to bottom in the spirit of Christmas glamour. It seemed to be a small party with a handful of guests, they were all dressed to perfection with gentleman in primed tuxedos and ladies in different rich gowns adorned with jewels. Blair had never seen this type of gathering in person before, the most she had ever done were small Thanksgiving dinners with her grandma or training classes.

This Victorian styled home reminded Blair of her own designs for Maddox's office. She didn't know Maddox for a long time but she got his hidden preference faster than she expected.

Suddenly, a voice boomed from behind her, "Maddox, hurry and bring your sister!" A beautiful woman came around the parlour room adored with a royal blue gown that matched the sapphire jewels dropping from her ears and circling her neck.

Blair stepped around the lady when abruptly a young man walked right through her, she didn't feel anything but the gentleman definitely felt a gust of cold air. She turned and found those remarkably memorable amber eyes gazing into her own. Maddox was dressed in a suit, but his jacket was thrown off on a chair somewhere, and his hair was rakishly tousled and black as night. His young carefree age showed through that broad smile and lazy posture, she quite liked him this way.

Maddox reached the grand staircase that twirled up to the second floor and took a deep breath. Blair guessed he was about to shout from the bottom of the stairs for his sister to come down, but his mom quickly stopped him.

"Don't you dare!" she scolded. "Go get Melinda from her room, young man."

Maddox and Blair both chuckled at the same time, which surprised her. Maddox quickly dashed up the stairs and away from Blair's quizzing gaze.

Blair followed the crowd and entered the dining room; a whole family filled up all the seats at the table. She loved decorated table that had long candles under a small chandelier that sparkled like the white snow outside. Red, gold and white porcelain plates were set out for everyone to use, and the glasses were shined to excellence. The smell of roasted vegetables alongside baked chicken with chilled wine was just the start of the grand feast. She had a similar set-up during Christmas at her own home, but it was a lot more lonesome compared to this party. She didn't talk to her parents and they never invited her over for the holidays, she never liked to admit to herself but she enjoyed the idea of family dinners and celebrations. Maddox's family seemed quite happy and peaceful, but what she couldn't understand was what happened to him now.

Speak of the devil, Maddox appeared with his sister who looked like they were already bickering over something like all siblings do. Blair drifted around the room's aura; it held a tranquil wave that could bring a smile to anyone's lips. She could feel the family's happiness that was imbedded into this memory, but why did her heart ache and her magic grow alert like something dark was about to taint this happiness that seemed too good to be true.

Blair's thoughts were shattered when the man in the first seat stood up with Maddox's mother; he was a handsome man, and now she understood where Maddox got his good looks from. He had a striking resemblance to his father. The man held the glass of champagne and he politely toasted to the holidays and thanked everyone that came to the dinner.

Blair observed from beyond the shadows and found herself pulled towards young Maddox's bright smile. He was carefree and unburdened from the weight of the world that was on his shoulder's now. This night he was just a young man who loved to talk to his family and enjoy the feast, which she didn't understand why she found that so adorable.