Chapter 3: Witch's Encounter

Blair's eyes fluttered open before her alarm even rang. She tilted her head to the side, the dark blue hue of dawn slipped through the sliver of space between her curtains, she could hear the soft distant songs beautifully played by the town's birds right outside her balcony. Blair tossed her soft duvet aside and rolled out of bed for the start of a new day.

She stared blankly at her closet, wondering silently what to wear for the meeting today. She pulled out the black dress; The lace sleeves flared at her elbows and ended just above her wrists, she eyed it for minute but then freely slipped it on with a pair of black Manolo's. She had blow-dried her hair and let it fall down her back in waves naturally. Blair didn't waste any time, she swiftly shut her front door and decided to get taste of the freshly brewed coffee at Café Rowena.

She parked her car and strolled into the café that was always open before anyone was awake.

Blair spotted the tall grim barista, Rowena. Her lips were held in a tight line as she laid out freshly washed white mugs. She had her rich wine-coloured hair tied in a high pony, revealing her sharp angular pale face. Rowena always looked deep in thought since her dark brows were always tightly knit together, but Blair knew better than to judge. 

The café was surrounded by bright orange spirals that cascaded over any person that entered through the doors, the aura was vibrant enough for Blair to feel its vitality and warmth. Unlike other places, she was welcomed by a sweet hug from the magic that would go unseen by the ordinary eye.

"Good morning, Rowena," she announced her arrival at the entrance.

"Jesus-" Rowena quickly grabbed the cup that almost slipped through her fingers and held it close to her chest.

Blair's nose scrunched up. "Sorry, I didn't mean to startle you," she gave a goofy grin and approached the oak counter- that had been wiped clean.

"You're up early," Rowena observed. "Do you want the usual?" She asked as she flipped a white cloth over her shoulder.

"Yes please," she answered with a jump in her step. "I have a meeting today with someone who wants some furniture advice."

Rowena nodded silently and then went on with her task diligently. "Here you are," she handed Blair a large white cup with a strong scent of darkly roasted coffee beans, and a shot of vanilla cream.

"Come on Rowena, join me for breakfast," said Blair as she dropped a tip in the glass jar that was high up on the counter.

Rowena grabbed some sandwiches and sat with Blair in the lounge area.

"I didn't know you helped people with renovations?" Rowena asked.

Blair stared wide-eyed because Rowena had oddly started the discussion first. Blair swallowed the last piece of her bread. "I didn't either," she said truthfully. "But I just felt like I should take this job."

Rowena nodded along but kept her grey eyes locked to her cup. "I had that with my cafe," Rowena revealed unexpectedly.

Blair's eyes flickered with pride when Rowena revealed something about herself. "I don't doubt that," she remarked and after a long moment Blair spoke. "You must be a morning person."

Rowena's eyes lifted and there was confusion swirling in the midst of the grey. "What makes you say that?" she asked Blair.

Blair tilted her head, she didn't need her magic to read Rowena's character. "You rarely talk to your customers," she said. "But you're sharing with me this morning."