Episode 18: The Rake Who Wooed the French

Start from the beginning

Today, the Madame de Flahaut wanted to go to the Bois de Boulogne—a large park that was formerly reserved as a hunting preserve and a pleasure garden for the king and his family. She wanted to make a short visit to the convent that was located there. Morris didn't mind making the detour as long as they were on time for their appointments with various companies.

But as they were setting out in an ornate carriage, heading down the Rue de Rivoli to the park, they were stopped by a rambunctious mob. "Get the hell out of there, Englishman!" the mob hollered in French. "We know you've been spying for the royals!" They pounded the sides of the carriage; some of them carried a rope on hand.

Peeking from behind the curtained window, the Madame de Flahaut turned to her companion out of concern for the threats that were being made. "What are they talking about?"

"I don't know. Those reptiles are prone to believe all sorts of nonsense." He proceeded to take off his peg leg.

"What on Earth are you going to do? You're not going to fight them, are you?"

He looked back at her with a smirk. "Why fight when I can woo them."

She frowned. "I hope you know what you're doing..."

The mob watched the presumed Englishman open the window of the carriage. A pair of men got close to the window with nooses in hand, eager to drag him out. But a wooden peg forced them to fall back. The rest of the mob took a few steps back from getting hit by the wooden leg.

"What is with the ruckus? Why did you stop my carriage?" Morris complained in French.

Someone from the crowd stepped forward. "We know you came from England to spy on us!"

"Yeah, that's right! You're a rat!"

"You should be hanged for going against the common people of France!"

Morris bonked the nearest person with his peg leg. "You dunces! First off, I'm a proud American! Second, you should know I fought and lost a limb in the fight for America's freedom! And third, on the contrary, I came here to this beautiful country to support the fight for liberty!"

The mob didn't know what to make of that information. They were still skeptical, and Morris knew it would take more effort to gain their trust. He thrust his peg leg high in the air and shouted, "Vive la Révolution (Long live the Revolution)! Vive la Révolution!"

Somehow, that worked.

The mob slowly joined in and chanted, "Vive la Révolution! Vive la Révolution! Vive la Révolution!"

While the mob celebrated calls for revolution, Morris signaled the driver to continue driving. The carriage moved forward, and the mob moved away, watching them pass.

The Madame let out a sigh of relief. "That was quite an act you put on."

"You think so?" Morris put on his peg leg. "Did I convince you?"

"Certainly." She smiled playfully. "If I hadn't known the truth about your accident, I would've pitied you."

"What about admiration for my bravery on the battlefield?"

"That, too. I would be swooning, knowing I was facing a brave hero who fought for America's freedom."

"Well, when you put it that way, I wish I actually lost my leg in the war." He acted hurt.

"Oh, don't say that."

"Oh, but you wounded my pride." He dramatically held a hand to his heart.

She tittered, "Is there anything I can do to make you feel better about yourself?" She smirked.

"Well..."