Chapter 36: I Never Actually Released my Full Power and Y'all Still Scared

Alarm bells had already begun raging in my head... I had never told her my real name. And nothing good ever comes when people start calling me Perseus.

Percy POV:

"Now, I really wish I didn't have to do this."

The mermaid's eyebrows knitted together, puzzled by the haphazard comment.

Sighing, I clasped my arms behind my back and twirled a finger, silently constructing a whirlpool around the guard that had been trailing behind us — Amaris, I think the mermaid had called her.

"I had really hoped we could be friends," I explained, concentrating on pushing the molecules together to form a thick cage of ice before morphing it into metal. I mentally thanked Hephaestus's blessing for that trick.

"Even though you all looked real ugly and scary I was all like nah... they're definitely nicer on the inside than the outside." I pushed the little whirlpool with the guard towards the cage and let it dissolve once she was safely contained.

"I mean look at those teeth! And your eyes!" I feigned a horrified shudder while building a current around us to protect me from the merpeople that had noticed their comrade rather... inaccessible at the moment. 

"Your point?" the mermaid queen lady questioned, eyes narrowing. Whoops. Might've offended her.

"Weeeell, since you asked, my point is that you really shouldn't lie to me. I don't –"

In a breath of a moment, the mermaid had her trident at my throat. I had to say, it was a disappointing piece for a leader's weapon – scrappy almost. Although I could always appreciate something a little rough at the edges... wait no pay attention there's a trident at your throat Percy. 

Rolling my eyes, I pushed the tip of the blade away. "Now now, no need to be so rash. As I was saying, I don't appreciate being deceived." 

She didn't seem to like that (especially because no matter how hard she pushed, she couldn't seem to move the weapon) and her eyes began to glow a bright gold before she released a high piercing noise. 

She moved as to hit me before I solidified some water before me to shield myself. 

"Easy now, let's just talk before I actually have to hurt you." 

I loosened the grip on my power aura in warning before manipulating the currents around her to turn to my handiwork. Eyes widening, she took in the scene before her: her single guard locked in a metal cage floating in the middle of the water and fifty or so other merpeople fighting (rather fruitlessly) through a sort of underwater current that had formed a sphere around the mermaid, cage, and I. 

When she turned back to me the color had drained from her face. "How?"

Hermione POV:

Percy was... frightening, to be quite honest. 

Striding into the room, a human-sized bubble of water floating in tow behind him, Percy's eyes flashed with thinly concealed power. Darkness surrounded him, snapping and cracking like a sort of electricity that charged the air. His usually bright green eyes, usually so easygoing, were completely dark.

"This creature claims some force is rising. It's what killed that girl," he explained, wholly unconcerned by the varied looks of confusion from the people in the room. They had all paused whatever they had been doing to gape rather unabashedly at Percy.

Ron was gawking, utterly flabbergasted, and Snape, who had come in at some point with Professor McGonagall, looked equal parts unnerved and exhilarated – like a kid who had just met his favorite superhero. Have to say that's just strange. Dumbledore eyes knit together with intrigue, Professor McGonagall looked nervous – her hand hovered over her pocket, as though eager to reach for her wand, and Harry... Harry looked uneasy, but also... oddly blank. His green eyes were lighter than normal, giving an eerie, otherworldly sort of feel to him.