Chapter 30: Detention Sucks

Thirty points from Gryffindor," she says. Pointing at me and Harry, she says, "Give this to the head of your house. You are no longer welcome in my class at the moment." I gather my stuff, and Harry does the same, not bothered in the least. Just as Harry and I are almost out the door she turns to us, making that creepy giggling sound again. "I'll see you later!" I shudder as I leave. Out of the corner of my eye, I see Harry do the same. For once, it seems we both agree on something.

Percy POV

Professor McGonagall took the note from Harry, sighing in apprehension as her eyes skimmed through its contents. When she had finished reading, she looked up at us, Harry and I.

"Potter, Jackson, use your common sense," she warned us, glancing around as if to assure herself no one was around. "You know where she comes from. You must know to whom she is reporting."  Uh, no, not really. I actually have no idea who she is reporting to. Eh, better act like I've been properly warned.

I quickly morphed my expression to one of caution. Harry did the same, although he seemed to actually understand what Professor McGonagall was talking about. Although...he doesn't really look scared either. His lips were pressed together and his left pinky was twitching, almost as if he wanted to argue, but was trying to demonstrate the caution the Professor had advised him to exercise.

Professor McGonagall didn't seem to recognise this, and moved on. "You both have detention for the rest of the week," she informed us, waving her hands to dismiss us. Harry and I both held back our groans until we were out of earshot.
After we had finished releasing the sufficient complaints that had been very necessary, thank you very much, I turned to Harry, hoping our temporary bond over our, erm, intense dislike for detention was still in place. "So...." I began. "Yes?" Harry questioned, looking at one of the paintings on the wall that seemed to be arguing with one another. I still haven't gotten over that. Giant three headed dogs no problem, but paintings that talk and move? That's so weird!

"Percy," Harry said, pulling me out of my thoughts. "Sorry. I was going to to ask you about what Professor McGonagall was talking about." "Okay, then ask," Harry told me, a little irritation leaking into his voice, although he still seemed to be preoccupied with staring at the the paintings. "Who is it exactly that the pink toad is reporting to?"
Harry turned towards me slowly. "The pink toad, Percy? "What?" I asked. You think she isn't a pink toad? Her face looks just like a toad if you ask me. I have other names for her too, you know, but they aren't quite as nice." Harry just shook his head.

                                                                                               ºººººººººº

Harry and I looked at each other and back at the door of doom for what had to have been the tenth time. "You know we will have to go in there eventually," I informed him. "I know," Harry acknowledged. We continued standing there.

I nearly jumped when the door opened and a sickly sweet smile greeted us. "Good evening Mr. Potter and Mr. Jackson," she said in that abnormally high voice of hers. Grrrrrr. She moved aside so that we could enter. Harry and I looked at each other once more before stepping in. I nearly vomited.

The whole place was done completely in pink! Wait, no that's an exaggeration. The two hundred cats on the pink plates, paintings, and even the curtains weren't pink. Although that many cats is hurl worthy by itself.

Ms. Toadface motions towards two desks and seats, and Harry and I sit down. "Now," she starts, "you're going to be doing some lines for me today." At this, Harry reaches into his pocket and pulls out a feather. What's the feather for? And what are lines? "No, not with your quill," Ms. Toadface says. Ohhhh it's a quill, the thing people used to write with. "You're going to be using rather special ones of mine." She gets up and gives us each a feather...er quill and a piece of weird paper.

"I want you two to write 'I must not tell lies'." Uh oh. Writing. Writing no good for Percy. Writing baaad.
"How many times?" Harry asks while audibly gritting his teeth. Professor Toad/Cat Lady giggled."Let's say...as long as it takes for the message to sink in."

"You haven't given us any ink," Harry pointed out.

"You won't need it," she giggles again.

Harry begins writing. I begin as well, at a much, much, slower pace. However, five minutes later, I can hear Harry wincing and constantly glancing at the back of his hand, now writing slower than me. Confused, I look over and find that what he is writing is being cut into his skin. Hmm. I write the stupid sentence again and look over at my hand. The same thing happened to me, the sentence I was writing was being cut onto the back of my hand. Is this even allowed? This doesn't hurt at all really, but I'm a demigod. I have different pain levels than mortals.

I look over at Ms. Toadface. She's humming some strange tune and sipping tea. I turn to Harry beside me and nudge him. "You okay?" I mouth. Harry just raises his eyebrows. I shrug. "What about you?" he whispers. " I'm Fi–"

Ms. Toadface suddenly stands up and walks over to us. She puts her hand out. Harry and I stare at her blankly. "Well? Your hand?" Oh. Harry and I put our hands out. Looking them over, she sighs sadly. "Tut, tut, I don't seem to have made much of an impression yet. Well, we'll just have to try again tomorrow evening, won't we?"
Harry and I ran out of that room as fast as we could.

Just then, Annabeth was in front of me. I ran to her and hugged her tightly, shutting my eyes tightly. "How did you get here? Why are you here anyway?? How long are you staying?"

"Percy?" she said through my fierce hug.
"Yes wisegirl?"
"Wake up."
"Huh?"
"Wake up, Percy."
"Wait what?"
"Wake up Percy."

I opened my eyes. Annabeth wasn't there. I was in class in Hogwarts. I looked around. Hermione was beside me.
"What happened?" I asked her. "Well, we covered the basi–" "Not that, I mean did I fall asleep?" Hermione blushed. "Oh, erm yes. You must be really tired from detention. Harry said that Professor Umbridge has been keeping you until midnight." Professor Umbridge? Oh yeah, toadface. I been using the nickname so often the past week that I had actually forgotten her real name.

Suddenly it all came flooding back: detention, my first week of school in Hogwarts, the quill. I couldn't quite remember what I had dreamed, but it had a familiar feel. If I had to guess, I'd think they were flashbacks of the past week.
But Hermione wasn't quite right. I hadn't fallen asleep because I had been at detention until midnight, although that was true. I had fallen asleep because I had been having nightmares the past week about weird ghost things with black eyes and was getting barely an hour of sleep each night.

Hermione suddenly spoke, cutting off my thoughts. "You know, you should make an effort to stay awake." "You're right I really should," I told her deadpan. "Really, you should at least try," she added indignantly; she had caught on.
Just then, the bell rang. I smiled at her as I gathered my things; I had a meeting with Snape to get to. "I am trying." I heard her groan behind me as walked out of the room.

I was halfway to Snape's classroom when I noticed some weird glowy shadow thingie. Huh. Probably one of the ghosts or something. Shrugging, I walked on. Finally, I reached my destination. Taking a deep breath, I opened the door.

I was going to hurl.

Okay, the actual plot is finally starting.
Also, I will be updating more frequently now because I don't have school anymore and I just came back from my vacation. Thanks for sticking with this story. I have more than 100,000 reads now and I just want to thank all of you.
Finally, don't forget to vote, comment and share.

This chapter is dedicated to Miss_Sarcastic27 for commenting on nearly every chapter and giving me lots of encouragement.