Chapter 23: Wizards Aren't Discreet

Percy POV

People began to whisper as they did when I was called for my sorting, only more vigorously now. The wizards weren't very discreet; their murmuring could be heard easily and a steady buzz of sound began to fill the room. Professor McGonagall, obviously distressed, cleared her throat loudly. The sound died down. "This conflict will be resolved later. The sorting must continue," she said sternly. And it did. Of course, it wasn't like anybody paid attention. I kind of felt bad taking the new wizards away from their spotlight. It's not my fault that everybody can't stop staring at the zoo's new exhibit: me. Cool! I wasn't sure I could actually use sarcasm in my mind.

Wait, that doesn't make sense. Well, I guess I could because I can think whatever I want. I wasn't sure if it would make sense in my mind though. Well, it did. Actually, I might have used sarcasm in my mind before. Now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure I've done it plenty of times. Hmm. Either way, these people can't stop staring at me. Oh, and let's not forget the whispering! There's plenty of that too. Yeah, they are so staring and whispering. Don't they know that it's rude? Somebody two seats away is talking about me loudly enough for me to hear them! Hey! I'm not drinking Polyjuice potion! Uh, whatever that is. Either way, that guy needs to learn manners. But I guess he can say whatever he wants because I'm obviously deaf and can't hear him. Whoa! I did it again. Brain sarcasm. Yeah, so not calling it that. Even in my thoughts that sounds weird. How about cerebral something? That sounds cool and smart. I just need to figure out the something part. Actually, I'm having second thoughts about that name. How ab--

"Percy?" somebody asked, cutting off my train of thoughts. "Yeah?" I said to the mysterious person, still kind of out of it. I had spaced out completely. My brain, obviously realizing that there was no real danger nearby, had taken a break from noticing my surroundings. Now bothering to pay attention, I quickly recognized who was in front of me. "Annabeth!" I exclaimed. "Seaweed brain," she muttered. "Of course you'd be completely oblivious to that whole speech while the rest of us were subjected to extreme verbal torture." "Huh?" "After you were sorted,  the rest of the first years finished up. Then that toad over there," Annabeth continued, pointing at a short woman in pink "gave a long speech while certain people were left to endure their ADHD as they tried to sit still forever. "Sorry not sorry wise girl," I told her.

Annabeth and I looked around simultaneously. We noticed two things at the same time, one considerably more pleasant than the other. The good thing: There was blue food and other good stuff on the tables! The bad thing: Annabeth and I had inadvertently begun to speak in Greek. The whole school was openly staring at us now, even the teachers. If there ever was a time that silence could be heard, it was now. Then someone cleared their throat. I glanced around me. Dumbledore. Apparently everyone else had come to the same realization and turned to him expectantly. "Mrs. Blofis, Percy Jackson, and Annabeth Chase," he began, his voice carrying throughout the hall. "Report to my office in ten minutes. Simultaneously, Annabeth and I turned toward each other and gulped, and that exact moment, without any use of my powers, I would have bet anything in the world that we thought the same thing at that moment: Shit.

Sorry that this chapter was so short. I know I haven't updated in a while but I'm hoping to do one tomorrow. I hope this isn't too bad.