Chapter 13: A Gift

Percy POV

The rest of the day passed by in a blur of bright colors and strange magic. Eventually Harry, Hermione, Ron, and I rejoined Mrs. Weasley once more. "Now Percy," Mrs. Weasley began, "do you have everything on your list?" If she's anything like my mom.... "Yeah, I have everything," I lied. Don't look at her eyes, don't look at her eyes, don't look... I looked at her eyes. She squinted, looking me over. Ohhhh no.

"Where's your owl?"
"Uhhh, I didn't get one?" It came out more like a question.
"Well then we have to go now, before the shop closes!"
"I'd really rather not,"
"Oh, but I insist!"
"It's okay, we really don't have t–"
"Nonsense!" was Mrs. Weasley insistent response.

So that was that; I was getting an owl. Wait, why do I need an owl? I voiced my question out loud. It was Harry who responded, to my surprise, abeit somewhat stiffly. "Owls are the main way wizards send mail to eachother," he explained. "Oh, thanks," I said. Blinking in surprise, I realized that we had reached the shop. Inwardingly groaning, I stepped in after the others. I was met by shrieks and rattling cages. Great.

Ever since I had been blessed by the Olympians and Chaos, I had gained immeasurable power, including power over every animal in existence. Well, every animal except the owl. They still hate me. I don't know for sure how it happened, but my guess is that the creator of the universe apparently has a sense of humor, if the owls' sqawks are any indication. Anyway, back in the present, all of the owls are going beserk, except for one in a silver cage in the back. Huh. Ignoring the other owls, I walked towards the magnificent creature. Dark as Nyx herself, with little streaks of silver here and there like opal, intelligence was apparent in her enthralling sea green and silver eyes. She's mine. I picked up her cage carefully, trying not to rattle her. "I'm calling you Luna," I told her, setting her in front of the shop's owner. Glancing up, I asked for the price. And I froze. Annabeth's mother, Athena; I'd recognize those calculating grey eyes anywhere. Muttering rapidly in Greek, she told me,"A gift Perseus, one I hope you take care of. Then she was gone. Shaking my head at her dramatics, I approached the others, who were obviously oblivous to the whole encounter, too preoccupied with the, uh, demon owls. Yep, that's what I'm calling them from now on.

Holding Luna up so that the others could see, I told them we could go now. Seeming relieved, they all followed behind me as I walked out of the shop. We walked to the nearest fireplace and used floo powder to get back to Grimmauld Place. Dinner was a quiet affair, consisting of barely concealed tension, scantily masked by Mrs. Weasley's chatter about the owls', as she put it, "uncharacteristic behavior." Hmm, I wonder why they were acting that way. But it was obvious that everybody had connected the owls' behavior to my unwillingness to get one, and their suspicon was poorly masked. Well, I doubt they'll find out anything with that information. I ate quickly, bidding the others goodbye as soon as I deemed I could, without being rude to Mrs. Weasley, who, despite her suspicions, was still being kind to me. On the way to the room I was staying in, I realized that I would be going to Hogwarts tomorrow. I fell asleep that night thinking about tomorrow, and what life was going to be like at Hogwarts.