Chapter 41 -- Disneyland

Comenzar desde el principio

And then he watched the most amazing show. It was like watching the movie on TV but better. Belle was beautiful and the Beast was really scary even though Midge knew he was really nice and turned into a handsome prince.

"Okay, what do you say to riding something a little more fun now? Would you like to try a roller coaster? After that we can get something to eat."

Midge agreed, and they rode a train to a different land. Once he saw what he had agreed to he wanted to change his mind. It was SO high, and he watched how fast they went while they were waiting in line. People were screaming and even though Scott said it was fun, he wasn't so sure. "Do I have to?"

"No, but how will you know if you like it or not if you don't?"

"I think I will not like it." The line moved quickly and before they had much time to talk about it, he was being strapped in, a restraint coming down over his head. He looked to Scott but his was the same and he didn't seem to mind so he tried to relax.

When the ride slowed and pulled back into the loading zone, Scott looked over to check on Midge and regretted instantly pushing him to try it. Midge was ashen, his knuckles white and lips trembling. "It's over, it's alright. We'll get out in just a second, okay?" He reached for his hand but Midge refused to let go of the handle so he just patted it instead.

Midge scrambled out of the seat as soon as the restraint lifted. He didn't even wait for Scott, he just ran down the ramp until his feet were on solid ground.

Scott watched him the whole way down and finally caught up with him a moment later. "Hey, hey, wait up" he said, taking his hand. "Come with me, let's get out of the way so we can talk."

He followed Scott around the corner and was instantly pulled into his arms.

"I'm sorry, I didn't know it would scare you so much. Are you okay?" Scott asked, worried.

"I am fine but I do not ever want to go again. Is that okay?"

"Yes, whatever you want. Do you feel okay?"

"I feel fine, I just hated it."

"Okay, that's fair, let's meet up with Kelly and Jeremy to get something to eat and then I have a treat for you."

"A dessert treat?"

"No, but you can definitely have dessert if you want. They do something special at the castle once it's dark and I think you'll like it."

"I am not sure I can trust you. Is it a roller coaster?"

"No" Scott chuckled. "It's not a ride at all. It's more of a show."

"Oooh I love shows!!!" They strolled arm in arm as the sun set and arrived to find Kelly and Jeremy already seated and waiting.

"How was it Midge?" She asked, her eyes glowing.

"It was all wonderful except for the roller coaster. I hate it."

"Aww, I'm sorry. It's one of those things though, people either love them or hate them, there aren't many people who don't really care one way the other. But the rest of your day was good?"

"It has been amazing. It is a wonderful place."

"I'm so glad. Did Scott tell you what's next? It's my favorite part!" she said.

"He said it is a show and not a roller coaster."

"He's telling the truth, it is a spectacular show."

Scott watched the two of them talk, amused. It was so good to see Midge so open and comfortable with another person, especially considering how their first meeting had gone. He didn't seem bothered by Jeremy either, although Scott wasn't surprised by that since he was such a nice guy. Still, considering what had been going on 24 hours ago, seeing Midge out and having fun was very reassuring.

After dinner they went looking for 'a spot' and finally Kelly and Scott agreed on one. Scott and Jeremy sat down next to each other, knees pulled up, and Scott told Midge to sit down and relax against him. He watched Kelly and copied her, still not sure why they were here.

"Are you comfortable?"

"I am. Where is the show?"

"It'll start in about 10 minutes, and it's up there." Scott pointed towards the sky above the castle.

Midge didn't quite understand but thought he would wait and figure it out in 10 minutes. It would be hard to miss a show, after all. Looking around he noticed that lots of people were sitting and standing around, all waiting for the show. A few minutes later a bomb exploded in the sky and he ducked, curling his head into Scott's chest.

"No, no, it's okay. They're fireworks. Watch."

He lifted his head just as two more went off, the noise deafening. He covered his ears and cringed. He looked over as Jeremy tapped his arm with a pair of headphones, and slipped them on. There was music playing, helping to hide the big booms and noise.

Scott looked over, mouthing 'Thank you' and wrapped his arms tighter around Midge. He should have realized that even with his ears down, this was going to be LOUD for him. Scott was so used to concerts and noise that it didn't phase him, but it obviously bothered Midge. He relaxed a bit when Midge lifted his head and pointed to a particularly huge one.

They were amazing, now that he wasn't so scared. There were all different colors, and even different shapes, and they filled the sky. Every time he thought maybe they were finished, more would go off. He leaned forward, his head darting left and right to try to see the next one the moment it exploded. Soon he realized where they were coming from and he started following the small rocket through the sky as it rose higher and higher.

Scott watched Midge's face instead of the fireworks finale. The ooohs and ahhhs coming out of his mouth were music to his ears and the light in his eyes was almost as bright as the ones overhead. Once the show was over and people started to go they stood and made their way down Main Street. Along the way they saw the vendors walking through the crowd, selling everything imaginable from glow necklaces, swords and hats to amazing balloons. "What would you like?"

"Oh, I do not need anything, it is just all so bright and happy that I like to look. Is that okay?"

"Always, but I'd like to buy you something too."

"I do not need a 'thing' Scott, I have memories and you. How could I need more?"

Scott pulled him a bit closer. "Okay, but next time we come I'm getting you mouse ears."

Midge just scrunched up his nose and raised his eyebrows in a look of utter revulsion which made Scott laugh.

Once they were settled in the car and back on the highway, Scott remembered to thank Jeremy for saving the show. "Thanks for the headphones, they seemed to help a lot."

"I have a friend who can't deal with loud noises either and she says music helps block out other stuff. I'm glad it helped a little bit."

"It helped a lot Jeremy, thank you" Midge said "and thank you all for taking me to Disneyland. I will never forget it, ever."

"You're welcome Midge. What was your favorite part?" Kelly asked.

"I liked the fireworks best, I think, but I really liked the flying Dumbo ride too. Can I have two favorites? It was not very scary but it made my stomach all tingly. It was fun." He loosened his seat belt a little so he could snuggle up a little bit with Scott. "Thank you Scott, for today."

"You're so welcome Midgey. I'm glad you liked your surprise. We'll come back sometime, there's still lots more to see."

"Ohhh, oooh, I.... I would like that very much."