Chapter 131

“I realized that the end of the epoch of Humane Capitalism was coming to a close,” said the Grasshopper. “The appearance of Mr. Alexander and the unstoppable growth of his movement had shown me that the system would collapse in my lifetime. And that entire time, up there, above all of us, the absolute killing instrument has been suspended. And I wondered, what would Kaella do when the system started to collapse, when he saw that he was losing? What do you think, Doctor? What would Kaella have done his last moments, when he realized that there were no more buyers?”

“I know what you mean.”

“He would think ‘if you’re not my Consumers, then you have no more reason to live.’ And Kaella would finally find his excuse to use this absolute weapon.”

“Probably,” Dr. Palladino agreed.

“Or imagine Prince, sitting in my place, at the command desk, watching live satellite feeds. Watching Non-Consumers taking out wads of money and gold bars from the vault beneath his palace. Or David from his garden, or The Night Watch from his hallway, or the Mona Lisa from the wall over his bed. What do you think, which buttons would Prince press at that moment?”

“All of them.”

“And…”

“Forgive me for interrupting you, but what happened to all those masterpieces? Erivan demolished the palace…”

“Yes, he demolished it. And he tried to build higher colonnades. As though Kaella wouldn’t have done so, if the construction could support them. Charlie removed the artwork to a safe place on time. In the underground depots of Erivan’s squads. I wouldn’t allow anyone to lay a hand on them. Only I can destroy such beauty.”

Dr. Palladino sighed a deep sigh and lowered his head.

“Why don’t you light a cigarette, Doctor? Charlie tells me that you are a heavy smoker.”

“I myself don’t know why,” said Dr. Palladino, taking out a pack of cigarettes and lighter from his jacket pocket. “I guess because this is the presidential office.” He lit the cigarette and took a drag.

“That is how you still perceive that space? And you’re still sitting in that uncomfortable chair, as you did on the first day. Why don’t you sit in the armchair?” the Grasshopper asked.

“I don’t want to.” Dr. Palladino took a small silver dish from the stylish dresser and sat back in his chair. He lay the dish in his lap and put his ashes in it.

“May I continue, Doctor?” the Grasshopper asked.

“Yes, yes… of course…”

“Thank you. Consider any ruler in history who lost the war. And at the ends of the epochs every ruler lost it. Imagine the enemy capturing his castle or city, his residence… and he’s sitting at this table. What would the ruler do? Any of them?”

“The same. They would all do the same.”

“And don’t you think that the Kaellas were aware the entire time of the weapon that they had at their disposal? Their last interview reminded me of that. Did you watch it?”

“I didn’t.”

“Kaella said that he had reduced the State’s expenses by merging the army and police into a single organization – the Inspectorate. And he didn’t merge them. He abolished the military, in the classical sense. The inspectors spent their entire time searching people’s apartments and preventing petty crimes. Or they would stifle an uprising or protest. That is why he stopped producing weapons. He produced minimal quantities, and only conventional weapons. Why? Because he knew that no one could do anything to him, that he could ultimately come and sit down at this table.”

“You’re right. It all fits. They were aware of what they had in their hands.”

“Exactly. Just like all rulers, the Kaellas lived in their own world. And that’s why they didn’t sense the threat on time. That is why they allowed the unintelligent but wily Erivan to mislead them and outmaneuver them. And I clearly saw the course of events and the end of civilization. The destruction of the planet. And I wondered, why would the Kaellas have to do that? Why wouldn’t I do that?”

“Because you didn’t want to be their victim? Because that would be an insult to your intellect?”

“No, because I wanted to be the executioner. Because I wanted to lower the curtain. And I will be a victim. I told you that I would kill all life. And as you can see, I too am alive.”

“Unfortunately.”