Chapter 124

“Hey, Lucky, what’s with you? Why are you biting my thumb? You’re silly,” Sayash told Lucky, while they rested in the shade of an olive tree, on a knoll by the roadside. “I know why! Your mother didn’t breastfeed you as a baby. That’s alright… I don’t mind.”

Their conversation was interrupted by the sound of a truck engine.

“Let go of my thumb, Lucky. The movie’s started. Come sit in my lap so we can watch. A truck is coming down the road, Lucky. I’ve seen many such movies. An empty road, and a vehicle appears. This could be interesting, Lucky.”

Lucky let go of Sayash’s thumb and sat in his lap. Sayash stroked him between the ears.

“Look… the truck has stopped. Has it broken down? Another one will come now, and they will connect themselves with a giiiiaaaant shoelace, and the second one will pull it. I know, I’ve seen this movie… Wait, wait, Lucky, it’s not that movie… this is a different one… this truck is carrying some children. I haven’t seen this one. I really haven’t…”

The driver came out and lowered the side of the truck.

“Is the actor going to wake the children? Lucky? Do you see them; they’re asleep like angels.”

The driver returned to the cabin. A piston raised and tilted the trailer.

“What is this nonsense?” Sayash commented excitedly. “What does the truck think, that it’s an amusement park ride, or what? Hey truck, don’t you see that the children are asleep? They don’t want to play and be jerked around now!” Sayash was annoyed while the children’s bodies fell by the road. “Lucky, do you see how stupid this truck is?!”

Sayash looked at Lucky who shed tears incessantly.

“Hey, Lucky, it’s not you that should cry because the truck is stupid! What do we care about it! I guess you see that the children are still asleep… Hey, Lucky, stop!” Sayash ran after Lucky. “Don’t you wake them up now!”

The driver raised the side and returned to the cabin. The truck went on its way. To pick up some new load.