Chapter 80

Having taken a sip of coffee, Seneca raised his eyes towards Pascal. When he saw that Pascal was persistently looking past him, looking at his wife, Seneca turned towards her slightly and asked

“And the coffee for Mr. Alexander, Manami?”

“Yes, right away, Julius… I was just waiting for you to try… Is it sweet enough?” said Manami, while returning to the kitchen.

“Yes, is good,” said Seneca and continued. “I’ve already told you, Alexander. By leaving the shelter you’ll be rendering the your friends’ sacrifice, a courageous act – futile. In any case, what do you think, Alexander? That all this that you are saying didn’t occur to Raul? That he wasn’t thinking about that while he was silent during our conversation? That he didn’t think of the possibility that you might come across as being a coward if you stayed? He did, Alexander. You can be sure of that. In such moments, when a person knows that they are about to die and that they will die for you, in the moments of such courage, such determination, Alexander – a person’s thoughts are surely crystal clear. And he obviously didn’t believe that you remaining in the shelter would represent an act of cowardice.”

“Mr. Mayor…” Pascal interrupted him, then paused while Manami placed a cup of coffee in front of him. He continued when Manami had sat down next to her husband and looked at him. “Raul… all my friends made the decision for me. I don’t make decisions about my life anymore… about myself. Am I the hope? Am I a criminal who caused the war? The man who created the opportunity for an Erivan to sow evil throughout the world? Am I a dreamer? Am I a coward? I don’t know. And I don’t care. Others decide that. Someone else…” Pascal briefly looked at Manami and returned to Seneca. “I’ll stay in the shelter, Mr. Mayor. And if you don’t mind, I’ll retire to my quarters now.”

“Certainly, certainly, Alexander. I’ll be leaving now, too.” Seneca took another sip of coffee and got up from the table. “I’d just like for you to lock the door behind me, to see how it works. Here’s the key,” Seneca held out a card.

“Good night, Julius,” said Manami, heading towards her quarters. “Actually, for you a new day is just beginning. And who knows what it will be like. Who knows what all awaits you.”

“I’ll make it through, Manami. I’m much more at ease now that we’ve reached an agreement with Mr. Alexander. You get some sleep, until the children wake up.” Seneca was already heading out the door of the shelter. “Lock up, Alexander.”

Pascal closed the door behind him and locked it. When he heard Seneca’s elevator go up he turned towards the interior of the room. Manami was standing in front of her door. They looked at each other for a long time, in silence.

“Give me the key, sir,” Manami finally said.

“The key? The card?” Pascal was surprised.

“Yes. The key will be with me at all times. In my room. You are an impulsive man, sir, and I cannot trust you.”

Pascal walked up to her and handed her the key. “Here you are, ma’am.”

“Am I that ‘other’ who decides about your life, sir?”

“Yes, you are, ma’am. You decided,” Pascal said quietly.

“You’re wrong. I didn’t. You decided. Good night, sir,” said Manami and entered her quarters.

“Good night… my love,” Pascal whispered, after Manami had shut the door.