Chapter 6 - Daily Life

After the Class Trial everyone returns to their dorm rooms, they had to do this trial in the middle of the night after all.

Having been awake for at least three hours longer than usual, Ren falls asleep the moment his head hits the pillow.

The morning announcement wakes him up as usual.

Th dining hall looks even emptier, a painful reminder of all the people who died. Maeko is silently fuming, probably making plans to kill Monokuma, Kaida seems lost in thought, Yukiji looks extremely nervous, which is nothing out of the ordinary, and Ichiro is staring at nothing in particular. None of them bother trying to make light-hearted small talk, they blew their chance of escape, and it's weighing them down. Ren sighs while playing with his breakfast. He's not hungry.

Once it seems appropriate, he goes to his lab. Hoping a game of chess can help him get a grip again.

His game is disturbed by a knock on the door.

Wondering who it could be, Ren stands up to open the door. It's definitely not Maeko, the redhead would just burst in. Once he opens it, it reveals a petite bluenette.

Without a warning, Kaida embraces him, burrying her face in his chest.

It takes a moment for Ren's muscles to relax again 'She probably just needs some comfort after that trial...' He awkwardly wraps his arms around her small frame, holding her close.

Kaida speaks up, voice barely above a whisper "Sorry about the sudden hug, but Monokuma can't know..."

Ren frowns, before whispering back "What can't he know?"

"Just before her execution, Yano-san passed me a key. I think it's a master key. If it is, we can enter the locked rooms."

The chess player hums "We could, but I don't know how much use it would be."

"I want to end this killing game. I want to expose the mastermind."

"Huh?" Ren is taken aback for a moment, before frowning "What do you mean?"

"As much as I hate to admit it, one of us has to be the mastermind. But I don't think I'll be able to believe any evidence I find... That's why I'm asking for your help."

Ren nods "I'm in."

"Someone needs to distract Monokuma, or he'll see what we're up to and stop us."

"I think I have an idea."

Kaida lets go and nods "Let's get this over with."

~*~

"You want me to distract Monokuma?" Ichiro questions, a hockey stick in his hands "Why?"

They found the power hockey star in his lab and asked him to cooperate.

Kaida looks down "We can't tell you, sorry."

"Can you do it?" Ren asks again.

Ichiro sighs "Sure, but I hope you have a good reason for this."

"Trust me, we do."

~*~

"What do you think Kisaragi-kun is going to do?" Kaida wonders out loud as they walk to the music room, where they'll wait a few minutes so Ichiro can get away from his lab that's near the locked door. It's stupid to distract Monokuma in the same hallway they want to sneak around in.

"Probably be himself and stun Monokuma into speechlessness." Ren states, opening the door to music room. Kaida closes it behind them.

The calligrapher hums in agreement.

They remain silent while waiting for some time to pass. There's no need to talk now, they have already discussed everything, plus it could catch Monokuma's attention and make him suspicious.

Once a few minutes have passed, they head to the locked door.

Just as Kaida is about to open it, Monokuma appears on the monitor "All students, please assemble in the gym immediately."

"Another motive?" Kaida questions.

"I don't know." Ren admits "But his timing is terrible." He opens the door "Let's go, we don't know what he'll do to us if we don't show up."

Kaida nods and follows, clenching the master key tightly in her fist.

~*~

The two of them are the final ones to arrive.

"What the hell took you two so long?" Maeko asks, her arms crossed in a casual way.

Ichiro glances at them for a moment before shifting his gaze back to Monokuma, who doesn't look to happy.

"Are you g-going to give us another m-m-motive?" Yukiji looks frightened.

"Nah, not this time." Monokuma responds before he goes back to looking mad "I called you here because two of you decided to sneak around where you're not supposed to be!"

Ichiro throws a knowing glance towards Ren and Kaida.

"Who was it? Because they sure as hell deserve a pat on the back." Maeko grins.

The silverette sighs "Kimura-kun and Matsui-san are the ones you're talking about, right?"

"Yes, you were about to open a locked door!" Monokuma accuses.

"So?" Ren crosses his arms "We didn't break any of your rules. You can't do anything about it."

Kaida nods "That's right. You have no right to punish us."

"Oh, I didn't want to punish you." Monokuma tells them.

"Th-then why are you so mad?" Yukiji asks.

"I'm mad that they tried to find the mastermind without informing me first!"

Maeko gasps "You were trying to find the mastermind?!"

Ichiro runs a hand through his hair "I figured it was something like that."

Yukiji looks a bit sad "Why? D-don't you trust us?"

"We have to get out of here. All of us." Ren tells her "The only way is by exposing the mastermind."

"It was my idea." Kaida admits.

"For the beacons of hope you sure are a bunch of morons!" Monokuma exclaims.

"Why?" Ichiro challenges.

"If you want to expose the mastermind that badly you just have to ask! That way I can prepare a proper Class Trial."

"Where's the catch?" Ren asks.

"You can't just expose the mastermind, but you also have to reveal all the mysteries of this school." Monokuma seems happy again "But of course, you'll also have to play by the rules of the Class Trial. If you get everything right, the mastermind will be punished and you'll get to leave the academy."

"What h-happens if we lose?" Yukiji manages to stutter out.

"I'll punish everyone besides the mastermind of course."

"But we have a disadvantage, right. We can't enter all the fucking rooms here." Maeko huffs.

"She has a point." Ichiro agrees "We'll play along if you open all doors in the building."

"Deal." Monokuma chuckles "Upupupu, I can't wait to see the despair on your faces when you figure everything out."

"Then you'll be waiting for a long time." Kaida shoots back.

"Good luck!"