Chapter 3 - Daily Life 3/4

This time everyone assembles in the dining hall, with Kagami being late as usual, which sends a wave of relief through everyone. This means Monokuma didn't mess with anyone yet.

Ren has recognized the pattern by now. After the Class Trial they get a full day to explore the new floor and live in peace, the day after that Monokuma gives them a new motive and then it's just waiting until someone else dies.

Kaida waves her pale hand in front of his face "Hey, Ren, are you alright? You were zoning out."

"Huh? Oh, don't worry, Kaida. I'm fine, just thinking." The ravennette responds.

She nods "Okay. But let me know if I can do anything to help."

Before they can continue their conversation Aika butts in "Hey, since when are you two on first name basis? It's very important that I know those things.~"

Kaida just blinks in confusion while Ren huffs "That's none of your business."

"You're so mean, Kimura-kun! Matsui-chan, tell him to stop being rude." Aika attempts to use puppy eyes on Kaida.

The calligrapher shrugs and thinks for a moment "Honestly, I think Ren is right that it's not really your business, Yano-san. Plus, it doesn't really matter, does it?"

"True." The brunette giggles and writes something in a pink notebook, which is obviously from her lab.

Monokuma's annoying face appears on the monitor and Ren knows what he's going to say before it's actually being said. The bear clears his throat for the dramatic effect "All students, please assemble in the gym immediately."

To be completely honest, Ren isn't sure if he'd rather be a whole day around Monokuma or spend the same amount of time with Aika, both are annoying.

~*~

"Everyone is here? Excellent!" Monokuma beams "I've prepared a very special motive for you!"

"Does the motive have something to do with this weird smell?" Naomi asks.

"Smell?" Ichiro questions "I don't smell anything."

"It's faint but it's there." The cyan-haired female responds "I'm not surprised you can't smell it."

"Would you stop having conversations when I'm trying to be dramatic?!" Monokuma shouts "You're definitely the worst when it comes to manners!"

"What does that mean?" Tatsuya wonders.

Monokuma just pretends he didn't hear that questions "Finally. That wasn't so difficult, was it?" He clears his throat "Everyone is here? Excellent! I've prepared a very special motive for you!"

"Are you seriously going to do it all over again?" Kagami asks, crossing her arms.

"Ah, screw it! You keep interrupting me so it's useless! I put hallucination gas in the building and it won't go away until someone is dead! There!" The bear yells and as soon as he said 'there' he disappears.

"Tee-hehe, looks like we made Monokuma frustrated." Aika giggles.

"Even though it was pretty amusing, I'm not sure if that was the smartest move." Yuna muses "I mean, now we don't know what this hallucination gas does, right?"

"I think we'll figure that out by ourselves." Haru states.

"Azuma-kun i-is right. It's s-s-spreading through the entire b-building, right?" Yukiji hestitantly says.

"That fucking bear is messing with us again." Maeko huffs "I'm gonna set him on fire when I get the chance!"

"At least the gas won't kill us!" Ginjiro beams.

"Maybe not, but it might push someone over the edge." Ren realizes.

"We just need to hang in there together and I'm sure everything will be okay." Kaida tries to encourage everyone, smiling.

"Either way, it's better if we just return to our rooms for now. If any of you figure out where the gas is coming from, please block it." Yuna orders.

"I wouldn't do that if I were you." Kagami states bluntly.

"Do you want us to all go crazy, Fujioka-chan~?" Aika questions with a smile.

The graphic designer doesn't seem fazed "I don't, just use common sense. I've been thinking about this for a while, but since the floors keep going down, I think we're going underground."

"Ren and I discussed that possibility too." Kaida admits "I think it's not very far-fetched."

"But what about th-those steel plates in front o-of the w-windows?" Yukiji asks.

Ren sighs "Those could just be put where windows usually are. It doesn't mean that they're really there."

Kagami nods "Exactly. So, if we're underground, fresh air must be coming from the airconditioning to make sure we don't suffocate. But the airconditioning is also the best way to spread this gas Monokuma was talking about. So if we block the gas we also block our oxygen."

'How was she able to figure that out?' Ren wonders 'Sure, it makes sense once you think about it, but she realized it almost immediately... Strange...'

Yuna rubs her temple "I admit I didn't think that far ahead. Okay, change of plans, if you find where the gas is coming from and it isn't the airconditioning you can block it."

"The infirmary had surgical masks, maybe we can try wearing those." Tatsuya suggests.

The synchronised swimmer nods "Good idea, Suzuki. Could you please get those and make sure everyone has one?"

The archaeologist nods and walks away to get the surgical masks.

Rensighs 'Let's hope everyone will be ableto deal with those hallucinations.'