Chapter 1 - Daily Life 3/4

Monokuma's morning announcement wakes Ren up. He yawns and rubs his eyes, before trying to get rid of his horrible bedhead. The stubborn strand hasn't moved at all and is still defying gravity. He has given up on it by now.

After taking a quick shower and changing into his normal attire, Ren heads to the dining hall.

Yuna, Tatsuya, Seiichi and Kaida are the only ones in the dining hall at the moment. The sound of pans can be heard from the kitchen so Chuya and Masao must already be up as well to prepare breakfast.

'Good morning's are exchanged and Ren sits down on a chair. Kaida flashes him a kind dimple-smile before getting lost in her thoughts again. She still confuses him.

The next ones to show up are Ginjiro, Haru, Yukiji, Ichiro and Naomi. And finally the slow pokes Maeko, Reiji, Aika and last but not least, Kagami.

"Sorry." The graphic designer yawns "I always sleep in."

"Didn't the morning announcement wake you up?" Ichiro questions, confused.

"Nah, I sleep like a rock. Nothing wakes me."

Everyone seems either impressed or annoyed by Kagami's ability to sleep through the morning announcement. Chuya and Masao serve breakfast for everyone. Small talk is made, but Ren is too busy ignoring Aika's attempts to convince him to let her find a match to hear anything that's being said.

Chuya is making small talk with Seiichi while Kaida is listening to Maeko telling her all kinds of stories. Yuna and Tatsuya seem to be discussing something about their new 'rules', while Kagami is still half-asleep and Naomi looks like she'd rather be anywhere but here.

After breakfast, most of them head back to their room. Maeko, Aika, Reiji, Ginjiro and Masao stay in the dining hall to chat. Yuna and Tatsuya have decided to look around the school once more, while Kaida and Chuya head towards their respective research labs.

'It must be great to have your Research Lab.' Ren muses 'I'd love to play a game of chess now.'

But before he can think it over too long Monokuma appears on the monitor. He clears his throat "All students, please assemble in the gym immediately."

"So much for some alone time." Ren mutters and heads to the gym.

~*~

Once everyone has arrived in the gym Monokuma appears on stage behind the microphone, just like he did at the entrance ceremony "Alright! Now, of course you can't just kill each other, so I've decided to help you a bit. I present you hereby, the motive!" Monokuma throws sixteen envelopes in the air.

Ren snatches the one with his name on it out of the air, while others do the same or pick theirs up from the ground. Inside of the envelope is a photo, but once he takes it out of the envelope his eyes widen.

It's a photo of his parents in the living room at home, but it's not an ordinary photo. They're dead. With cuts all over their bodies and lifeless eyes his parents are definitely dead, his father is even missing a few fingers, so it might've been torture.

Although he looks calm on the outside Ren's heart feels like it is trying to break out of his ribcage.

Once he turns the photo around he can feel his blood boiling.

What happened to this lovely family? Graduate and find out!

Ren rips the paper to pieces, walks to the trashcan and tosses the torn pieces of paper in there 'That murderous bear...'

If it wasn't prohibited and it wouldn't potentially result in his dead, he would've punched Monokuma in the face.

Kagami has crumbled her paper and is trembling with anger. Reiji is stomping his feet on the photo he's thrown on the floor and Maeko is muttering curses through gritted teeth while tearing the photo into pieces. Kaida is holding her hand in front of her mouth while silent tears fall from her eyes, she's trembling.

"You're insane!" Yuna yells.

"That's my cue." Monokuma exclaims cheerfully "Happy killing!" Then he's gone.

"That fucking bear." Maeko clenches her fist.

Tatsuya turns towards the fuming firebreather, though he's clearly trying to keep himself from trembling "Calm down, Haseyama-san. If you attack Monokuma, you'll be killed."

"I don't care!"

Ginjiro quickly picks Maeko up before she can run off to find Monokuma and hit him.

"Let me go! I'm gonna murder that fucking stuffed toy!" The firebreather struggles to get out of the brunette's strong grip.

He shakes his head "I can't do that, Haseyama-san."

The cheerful mood that was there at breakfast has disappeared and everyone seems gloomy now. Heck, even Haru and Naomi appear to be upset, though it's not as visible. The hunter turns on her heel and quickly stomps out of the gym. More people follow her example and leave, everyone probably needs some time alone now. Everyone is gone now, except Ren and Kaida, who's still crying.

Deciding it would be the 'nice thing to do' Ren walks over to Kaida "Ehm... Matsui-san, are you okay?" He mentally facepalms 'Stupid, of course she isn't! Who would be?'

Kaida looks up at him, her eyes now red from the crying. She shakes her head and hugs the chess player, sobbing.

Having no idea what to do, Ren awkwardly pats her back and hopes she'll stop crying soon.

After a minute or two Kaida lets go, takes a step back and wipes her tears away "I'm sorry. You probably felt awkward."

"Was it that obvious?" Ren asks, a bit confused.

Kaida giggles and smiles through her tears "I'm good at those things." She turns around "But thank you. I'll be off then, bye."

Sixteen/sixteen