Chapter 4 - Daily Life 2/4

Ren walks down the stairs with his classmates when on their way down they run into Naomi.

"What the hell are you doing here?!" Maeko yells, but before she can lunge herself at the hunter again Ginjiro holds her back "Let me at that bitch!"

Naomi doesn't look even slightly fazed "I've already looked around on this floor. There's no way out so you can quit pretending to be friends." She continues walking, on her way she bumps into Kaida, and it doesn't look like an accident.

Ichiro steadies the bluenette to make sure she doesn't fall down the stairs. She thanks him but he just brushes it off saying 'it's nothing'.

Once Ren and Kaida have fallen behind the group a bit the calligrapher speaks up "I guess Endo-san really dislikes me, huh?"

Ren shrugs "I guess, but it's her loss. Everyone else seems to like you, or at least think you're a decent person."

"I suppose." Kaida smiles but it falters "About what she said yesterday... Do you think I should've died instead of Izumi-kun?"

The chess player is taken aback "What? Of course not. Sure, it's sad that Izumi-kun died but I wouldn't want you to be dead either."

"Thanks, Ren." She goes back to smiling "Come on, let's go."

There's a door on the left and one on their right, the former looks like most doors but the latter seems to be checkered.

Ren opens the door without hestitation and finds the interior of his lab. He can feel a small smile form "Hey, Kaida, once we finished exploring this floor, would you play a game of chess with me?"

She chuckles "Okay, but I bet I'm going to lose. There's no way I can beat the Ultimate Chess Player at his own game."

"Fair enough, but it'll be fun either way."

He looks around. There's one large game of chess with huge chess pieces about half the size of an average person, while there are also three tables with normal-sized versions of the game standing next to the wall. There's also a desk with a laptop where you can play chess against a computer program.

"Let's finish exploring quickly. I can't wait to finally play chess." Ren tells Kaida, the girl just smiles and nods.

The door on the other side leads to what looks like some kind of physics room. There's one huge complicated device in the middle with multiple other machines surrounding it. Aika is standing next to it.

"I see you're exploring together again, huh?" The matchmaker asks them with a very suspicious smile on her face.

"And I see you're still annoying." Ren throws back.

"Eh?! You're so mean, Kimura-kun!"

"Yano-san, do you have any idea what this device is for?" Kaida asks.

Aika turns to the calligrapher "Hm, no, I don't. But I know someone who does." She takes a deep breath "Hey, Monokuma, I have a question!"

As if on que the bear shows up "You rang?"

"Yeah, why is this huuuge machine here?" Aika asks, spreading her arms when saying 'huge' to emphasize it.

"Oh, this handy little device?" Monokuma tilts his head "That makes sure you have clean air, we can't have you suffocating. That would be such a boring death."

"Then, may I ask something else?" Before Monokuma can answer Ren continues "Is this building underground?"

"Who knows? Maybe you should kill someone and graduate to figure it out." Monokuma suggests way too happily.