Chapter 5 - Daily Life 3/4

The next morning when Ren leaves his dorm room he almost bumps into Kaida "Ah, good morning."

She smiles "Good morning."

They continue walking next to each other on their way to the dining hall. The silence between them is comfortable, it seems they've gotten close enough to appreciate the fact that not every space has to be filled with words. Although Kaida did what she said by keeping a bit more of a distance, she obviously refuses to let it affect the friendship that they've built here.

When they're almost there Ren sighs "I guess Monokuma is going to give us another motive, huh?"

Kaida hestitates a bit but nods "I suppose. So you recognized the pattern too, huh?"

"Yeah, he always gives us a day between the Class Trial and the motive to explore. He's not very original, is he?"

"Not really. I bet he's sitting in his evil lair with a scedule."

Ren chuckles at the small joke "I can imagine that."

With her expression becoming a bit more serious Kaida speaks up again "This time we won't fall for Monokuma's tricks..."

The chess player nods "Right."

Most students are already in the dining hall, except Aika and Maeko, who arrive later.

"Today is the day, huh?" Tatsuya sighs.

"What d-do you mean by th-that?" Yukiji asks.

"Monokuma is going to give us another motive." Ren answers.

Aika giggles "Are you so eager to get a motive that you memorize the day?"

"Quit screwing around." Maeko huffs "That fucking motive is annoying the living shit out of me, just like that stuffed toy."

"It's not nice to talk about people when they're not there!" Monokuma appears on the monitor.

"You're here now. Plus, you can follow us with the cameras." Ichiro deadpans.

It stays silent, Monokuma doesn't know how to respond. In the end he settles with "All students, please assemble in the gym immediately."

Time for the next motive.

~*~

"I'm so glad all of you decided to come! I've prepared a very special motive this time!" Monokuma announces.

Maeko rolls her eyes, her arms are crossed "First; we have to come or we're executed. Second; you say that every time. Get to the fucking point already!"

"If you insist. One of you already knows about this motive!"

"What do you mean?" Tatsuya questions.

"So now you want to know, huh? Upupupu~" Monokuma seems pleased, an expression Ren has come to despise on that bear "Then let me announce this special motive! This one is different from all the other motives because it's for only one person!"

"And what does this person get?" Ichiro asks.

"I will assist them with their murder however they want, except the killing itself, as long as it isn't too crazy of course."

"I don't think that'll be enough to convince them to kill someone." Kaida states.

"We'll see about that." Monokuma looks very smug "And by the way, the one who received this motive is not allowed to tell anyone else about it, so asking who it is won't help you. Upupupu."

"So we c-can't do anything?" Yukiji asks.

"I guess we have to trust whoever got this motive." Ren mutters 'But this seems too easy, who would be motivated to kill just because Monokuma will help them? Something is fishy here...'

"Well, that's a relief!" Aika beams "Then no one else will die, right?"

"Holy shit, you're right!" Maeko exclaims with a bright grin.

Ren glances at Monokuma, who looks even happier. The chess player narrows his eyes. He doesn't trust anything that can make Monokuma this happy.

Despite the feeling of doubt, Ren doesn't mention it. If he does there is a chance that he'll create distrust. It's better to keep it quiet, at least for now.

"Why are you still here?" Ichiro asks Monokuma.

"Okay, I'll leave now!" The headmaster responds cheerfully before he's gone.

"He isn't g-going to complain about our b-b-behavior?" Yukiji questions.

"That is out of character." Tatsuya mutters.

"Huh? Why are you all suddenly being gloomy?" Aika tilts her head "We beat the killing game! Let's celebrate!"

"That seems to be the case." Kaida agrees "I don't think any of us will kill for a motive like that. We're friends, right?"

Maeko swings an arm around the bluenette's shoulder "You're right, Matsui-san! We should be happy that this shit is finally over!"

Tatsuya nods "Right, I think this is finally over."