cinquante six

It had taken Georgiana Turner quite a bit of convincing for the Cullen's to declare she wouldn't go all ape-shit crazy on the Fernsby's. Jasper had persuaded Mr. and Mrs. Fernsby to go to bed and that they'd take care of 'cleaning' up. Rosalie took it upon herself to watch over Avery upstairs with the help of Esme. Nobody wanted him near her just in case something happened.

So, they all sat on the couch. Staring at the floor with straight backs and alertness clouding their thoughts. Nobody was going to speak in fear of starting something. It finally became too much when the red-eyed vampire had to take a deep breath. So, Tatum decided to take the initiative.

"I need to know."

Georgiana looked up at her hopefully.

"I'll answer everything. What do you want to know?" the newer vampire asks, her Minnesotan accent visible.

"How? When? Where? Who?" Tatum offers, looking at the vampire's red eyes.

"How, uh, my pneumonia got the best of me. When, about a year ago. Where, uhm, right in my hospital bed. Who, ergh, my wife-"

"Wife?" Tatum asks. Georgiana nods and smiles awkwardly. "You weren't a Mrs. when I left."

"We got married right after I changed. I couldn't exactly invite you because of some obvious reasons-"

"YOU GOT MARRIED AND DIDN'T INVITE ME?! OR EVEN MENTION IT TO ME?!" Tatum says, fuming as she stands up. She wasn't really that angry, just a tad bit hurt.

"What did you want me to do? Invite you as the main meal?!" Georgiana says, throwing her hands in the air. "I mean, we all know you look like a snack and a half, but we don't want you to literally be the snack!"

"Don't compliment me right now! I am so confused that I don't know if I should be angry, shocked, crying, or passing out!" Tatum says, sitting back down again. Jasper looks at her worriedly but she waves him off. "I'm fine, cowboy."

"Cowboy? You're the Jasper dude she's been sending me letters about?" Georgiana says, taking Tatum's blush as a sign of the statement being true. "Didn't know you were actually like me, cowboy."

"Only she can call me cowboy," Jasper says coldly, glaring at Georgiana with a hatred of a thousand suns.

"Okay," Georgiana says awkwardly. "Look, Tate, I'm sorry I didn't tell you anything. I just didn't know if I could. Katalina and I have been kind of staying around Minnesota until a couple weeks ago. We decided to visit Alaska and met the Denali clan. They told us about this 'Olympic coven' that resided in a tiny town in Washington. I asked them about it and she dropped the name Forks. So, I came here by myself to find you."

"Is Katalina your wife?" Tatum asks, looking at her eyes again.

"Yes, she was born in the 70s and she was my nurse. Katalina saved me, Tate."

"Oh my gosh, that's too cute. I just can't handle it," Tatum says, starting to tear up. "Sorry! It's the confusion!"

Carlisle lets out a chuckle and smoothly stands up, walking over to stand right in front of Georgiana. He sticks his hand out for her to shake and they do so.

"Georgiana, I'm Carlisle Cullen. I'm the head of the coven. You said that you stayed with the Denali coven in Alaska, correct?" Carlisle asks. She nods her head very stiffly.

"Can she and I have a private moment alone?" Tatum suddenly asks. The family looks a little hesitant but gives the two some private time by going upstairs. It wasn't the best privacy but at least they were trying. "So, is that the only reason you came here?"

"You caught me. No, it isn't. How'd you know?" Georgiana asks, watching Tatum's every move.

"You're my best friend. Human or 'not."

"God, I love you," Georgiana says. "But getting to the reason, I'm here because A) I missed you and love you. And B) because I need to warn you."

"About?"

"Vampires are getting suspicious by the way the Cullen's are letting their members attend high school. They're starting to suspect a human with them, that's against the law. Jerome has a gift where he can sense if a future event will go good and bad."

"And?"

"Tate...I love you and all, but you have to take in the facts. First your childhood best friend, then your boyfriend and his family. And now you? This is obviously a bad event! I want you to be safe, but I also don't want to rip you away from the people you love," Georgiana says, blinking fast as if there were invisible tears in her eyes. "I've had to lose so many people because of this type of life. I don't want to lose you because of it either."

Tatum stands up and crouches down in front of her best friend.

"You'll never lose me. I love you too much to ever let that happen."

●○●