trente sept

●○●

December 16th

Tatum's birthday was today

Tatum's birthday was today. Jasper knew it, Paul knew it, Sam knew it, Keith knew it, even that Tyler dude knew it. But, for some strange reason, Tatum forgot her own birthday. She woke up and her parents were at work, they left a cupcake and a birthday card with some money in it. Her trip to school was just like any other, dropping Avery off and then going to high school. 

As she turns off her car's engine and gets out of it, she is instantly greeted by an obnoxiously loud Keith shoving a present into her face. Tatum smiles and awkwardly accepts the gift. Keith nods before getting shoved away by Tyler.

"Happy birthday, baby."

Tatum shakes her head and opens her truck back up, setting Keith's present in the driver's seat. Tyler laughs and gets shoved back by Keith threateningly. Tatum rolls her eyes at Keith's aggressiveness. She just wanted to get this day done and over with. Of course, God was not in her favor today.

"Not today guys," Tatum says, walking between the two and heading towards the school entrance. She waits until the two are out of hearing range before she grumbles, "Damn boys are so annoying."

She takes a peek around the cold parking lot for the Cullen family, but only found 4/5 of them standing by the car. Tatum huffs an annoyed breath of cold air before continuing her trek inside the school.

●○●

Tatum's lunch break was a lot better than the earlier part of her day. Paul and Sam decided to take her out of school, with her parent's permission, so the three of them could have lunch together. Tatum's parents cleared that they'd be taking care of Avery. 

The three decided to go to a pizza place a couple of miles away from La Push. They discussed schools, the reservation, and many other things. Tatum finally felt like she was getting treated normally, not like she was about to break. It felt good.

"Do you wanna go back to the res and visit Em?" Sam asks, knocking Tatum out of her thoughts. She nods happily, remembering the sweet 'house-fiancee' vividly. Sam pays for the meals and they head out to Sam's truck. 

"Can I drive?" Tatum asks. 

"Fine."

"You're letting her drive your baby?!" Paul asks, shocked by the fact that Sam's letting her drive. He didn't even let Paul drive it. 

"It's her birthday, get over it."

●○●

Spending the whole afternoon on the reservation was something that Tatum didn't realize she needed. She and Emily made conversation while the boys downed the food sitting in the fridge. At one point, her and the boys played Mario Kart like there was no tomorrow. Soon though, she got a frantic call.

"Hello?"

"TATE! Where are you?!"

"What? Alice, what's going on?"

"Tatum, where are you."

"I'm at Sam's house, why? Is everything okay?" 

"NO, everything is NOT okay! You need to come home NOW.

"Okay okay. I'll have Paul drive me over-"

"NO, THAT'S NOT-"

Tatum steps back from the phone to realize that Paul had ripped the phone wire. She looks at the sparked and torn wires in his hand, stepping back in fear. How could he do that? Why did he do that?

"Paul? Is everything okay?" Tatum asks nervously, eyeing the wires. He shakes his head and his breathing starts to come in and out in rushed breathes. His shoulders shake and his eye twitches. 

"Pa-Paul?"

Paul sprints outside and starts angrily walking towards the woods, Tatum follows after. None of the other boys realize the two had left until they heard a voice getting louder inside their minds. Paul was trying to tell them he was about to burst. Sam and Jared share a look before setting out on a dead sprint out the cabin.

"Paul, tell me what's wrong!" Tatum shouts, trying to get Paul to stop. 

"YOU. YOU'RE RELATIONSHIP WITH THAT-THAT-THAT THING!" Tatum was ultimately confused and worried. What thing was he talking about? "You don't realize how hurt you'll be when you realize how much he doesn't care."

"Jasper? Paul, are you being serious? He's in my life, it's something that you'll have to work wi-"

A growl echos through the clearing and a scream soon follows it.

●○●