prologue

When a person dies, what do they see?

Darkness?

Light?

All their memories at once?

What about their loved ones that have previously passed?

The people they miss the most?

For me, it was another sunrise. Another day. Another chance. All because I had been in the right place at the wrong time.

 All because I had been in the right place at the wrong time

My story starts in Biarritz, France. My mother gave birth to me on December 16th, 1991.

My dad thought I was the most precious thing when he first met me. Everyone said that about me. I was the sweetest thing ever with my button nose and beautiful green eyes. I was the image of an angel. I always wondered where I went wrong. How I turned out to be me.

My life was wonderful. I could have easily had a perfect life. My loving parents, my sweet older sister, my new life journey to America from France, my best friend alongside me, and my family's riches leading me to have a very successful career.

My parents, sister, and I all boarded a ship to America when I was nine years old. The worst part, I knew zero English. My parents had been trying to become American citizens ever since they'd gotten married, which was seventeen years before my birth.

After we left the docks, we went to a place called Grand Marais, Minnesota. It was very cold and icy all the time.

That was where I met my best friend, Georgiana Turner. She didn't understand what I was saying most of the time but she did know how to read facial expressions!

My family decided to move away to Tacoma, Washington when my older sister fell pregnant by a delinquent that she had met through school. I was thirteen and my English was getting better but I still couldn't make out the -ph or -re sounds.

Once my sister was shunned by most of Tacoma, we had to move a fourth time. I still kept in contact with my friend Georgiana, but she said that she was starting to show signs of pneumonia.

My family moved to a small town called Forks, Washington when Bailey and I had mastered our American accents. My life there is just beginning. At age sixteen, I'm going to be a junior at the high school in Forks and my sister will be a senior.

We'll be starting a new life there by not making it obvious that my nephew is my nephew. I am very much against this but I also have to think about my sister and all she's been through.

It's August 28th, 2007; only 3 days until school starts for me and my sister. I have a feeling that this year will be crazier than any other. God, I hope I'm wrong. Too bad I'm usually right. . .