onze

Tatum drops her sister off at the diner in Forks so the eldest can start her first shift there. Tatum explained where she was taking Avery and what time they would be back and all that crap.

On her way home, Tatum picks up Avery from the daycare that Bailey had him enrolled in. Tatum goes in, finds him, signs him out, and gets him buckled up in his car seat. Tatum converses with her nephew in short sentences about their day. She found out that he had made a new friend named Ian. 

Halfway through Tatum talking about history with Jasper and Keith, her phone starts ringing. Lucky enough, they were pulling up to an empty stop sign. Tatum pulls out her phone and answers the call with Avery babbling to himself in the background. "Hello?"

"Tatum?"

"Jasper. Hey, what's up?" Tatum asks him, resuming her driving while putting Jasper on speakerphone. Avery stops his babbling for a second before starting it up again with the word 'Jazzy' over and over again. 

"Uhm, my mom wants to know if you or Avery have any allergies," Jasper says awkwardly. He takes an involuntary sigh. "And if you guys wanted to spend the night."

"I'm lactose intolerant but I've got pills for that. Avery is allergic to pollen and I have allergy medication for him at our house. As for the sleepover, we'll pack a bag and see if Avery's mom answers! She just started her shift and doesn't get off until 9 p.m. so we'll see if she can pick up her phone tonight! And- I'm blabbering again," Tatum says, heaving out a breath after her dialogue.

"No, no, I think it's cute. But, yeah, pack a bag, we have a spare room or you guys can sleep in my room. Okay-Rose, stop!" The phone cuts out between a male and female voice before a second female voice cuts in and grabs the phone from Jasper.

"Sorry, dear. It's Esme. The twins really can't wait to see you both! Would it be alright if you guys ate at your house? I forgot to go grocery shopping today!" Esme's sweet voice asks her. Tatum nods, not realizing Esme can't see her.

 A grey pick-up truck ignores the stop sign on the other side of the road and zooms passed Tatum's car, nearly hitting them. Tatum slams on the breaks, speedily forcing her arm to go back towards Avery, holding him so he doesn't get hurt. The tires on her car skid and she can definitely smell the burnt rubber from her quick stop. The car pulls back and Tatum's back slams into her seat, causing her to groan. She looks back towards Avery to see him with wide eyes.

"Hey, baby, it's okay. Do you have any ouchies?" Tatum hurridly tries to console her whimpering nephew who is about to burst into tears. 

"Tatum, what happened? Are you two okay? Anyone bleeding?" Esme asks very frantically, definitely worried about the two an incredible amount. 

"Uh- I mean, yeah. Sorry, someone decided to just about run into our car. Everyone is okay, no injuries or cuts. Just a scared little bubba," Tatum says, reaching back and stroking her nephew's hair. He settles down within minutes but continues to let out random sniffles. She couldn't blame him, it was a scary moment. 

"What?! Where are you two? I'm going to get you guys," Jasper asks and demands as frantically as Esme. He was rustling around for something by the sounds from his side of the phone. 

"Jasper, stop! We're fine, okay? Meet us at my house and then we can head to your house. Avery is fine now." Tatum says, trying to convince not only Jasper but herself too that it would be that easy. Jasper agrees to it, saying he'd meet them there before hanging up. Tatum sets down her phone and rests her head against the steering wheel.

She could've gotten Avery hurt. She could've caused her nephew trauma because she didn't double-check to see if there was a speeding truck or not. She was just lucky this time.