Chapter 5: Shah House

Sunlight turned the garden's dewed grass into a zircon stone embedded carpet.
Lovely flowers in different colors swinging on their dales, scented every part of the garden with their dispelling redolence.

An Italian stone water fountain, with cherubs in the over the top, in the middle of the circular driveway leading to the blazing with glory, Shah House.

Strongly built, lavishly furnished; ultimately equipped with luxurious amenities; Shah House was an architectural masterpiece.

The House Lady Mrs. Dawar was busy in decorative items in the dining-room, which was extremely exquisite.
The walls were covered with art mirrors. In the middle of the ceiling above the carved oak table was a crystal candelabra chandelier. Down the center of the table was a runner with the Gothic design woven in gold and silver into the fabric itself. At the end of the table were floor to ceiling french doors, left slightly ajar to let in the scented morning breeze. The polished silver cutlery was heavy to the hand and shone brightly in the early daylight. There were beautifully folded napkins to match the runner, adding finesse to the decorum.

Kunan in his tracksuit stopped in his tracks, he was just back from his exercise. "Morning mum!" He greeted as he looked at his mother busy with some flowers to arrange in a conical, crystal vase on the table.

"Morning jaan!" She turned around to see her son with love laden eyes, "you were late at night?" She inquired.

"Mom, when will you quit behaving like middle-class moms?" He asked unzipping his jacket.

"My son, a mother is always a mother; no matter which class she belongs to. I admit you are enough grown-up but this can't stop me worrying about my child!" She watched her handsome son walk across the table; no longer a boy, but an adult.

"Everything Ok? What made you this philosophical in the day's earliest portion?"
He came closer smiling as he peeled off his jacket.

"On the whole, you are a Devil!" Mother chided her son with a playful smile.

His senses were immediately bombarded with the rich aromas wafting in from all around him.
"So, we're having some people over for breakfast this morning?" He reviewed the table and asked presenting a tulip to his mother that he pulled out of the vase.

"Thanks, beta jaani (dear son), but your guess is not correct. This special treat is for your father." Mom smiled.

"So, Dad's back!" Kunan sighed, "I think the couple should enjoy their reunion, with a romantic breakfast. I don't want to be a weed among the roses!" He said smiling as he watched his mother dolled up nicely.

"Don't you have some filters before your tongue?" Mom faked a glare in his direction but the fact she was flushed.

"Why elders always escape from the truth? Whatever,  I'm in my room," he turned to leave,

"Wait, my son! Your father told me that he wants to see you at the breakfast table." As Mrs. Dawar conveyed, he halted for a second then spun, "is there anything important?" He asked, "I don't know about that but if your father wants, then you should be present!" Mother suggested.

"I'm trying to figure out what surprises, he may hold in store for me," saying Kunan pulled out the chair to sit, and called aloud, "coffee! Ashraf!

"Call him Ashraf baba! No matter he is our servant but he is in elder age, you have to respect him." Mother lectured him, she wanted to uphold some semblance of values in front of him.

"Yeah, sure! Ashraf baba, if you don't mind can I have one cup of coffee please." He called again, he was crazy at orders. His mother swats on his arm and cleared her throat as she saw Dawar Shah was coming in their way.