Their height was similar as well as build. Although Phoenix was a bit more tall and lean while the other was more broad.

Penelope was starting to realize who this man was to Phoenix and she didn't know how to feel about it just yet.

"Hey Phoenix" Olivia called out when they were within hearing distance.

Phoenix visibly tensed and stood up to face the owner of the voice. Only then did he see Olivia and Penelope who looked rather uncomfortable with the situation she was in.

"Hey" She said with a small wave and awkward smile

Phoenix frowned at her unusual behaviour but was cut off by his father before he could say anything.

"er disse vennene dine Phoenix?"

Are these your friends Phoenix?

His words only served as confirmation for Penelope's thoughts. This was Phoenix's father.

"Ja" Phoenix said while locking eyes with Penelope.

"Hello, my name is Erik. I'm Phoenix's father. It's very nice to meet you both." He said before extending a hand out to Olivia then Penelope.

Penelope gave him a sweet smile, her dimples showing in the process.

"I'm Penelope, it's very nice to meet you Erik." She said while avoiding Phoenix's gaze.

Olivia gave Penelope a confused look. She had been dating Phoenix for all this time but had never met his father?

"So, how do you two know Phoenix? Through school I assume ?"

"Yes that's right. Penelope and Phoenix are...together actually." Olivia spoke.

Penelope cringed internally and pressed her fingers into her palm while trying to maintain a calm exterior. Why did Olivia have to expose her like that?

"Together? As in dating?" Erik asked in surprise. Although his surprised expression morphed into a smile. "Phoenix hvorfor sa du ikke det til meg"

Phoenix why didn't you tell me?

Phoenix ignored his father and instead tried to silently communicate with Penelope but she seemed to be ignoring him as well.

"You should come over sometime Penelope, I would love to get to know you better." He said sincerely.

Penelope offered a closed mouth smile and a nod to his statement.

"Yes, that sounds wonderful."

"Anyways, I should go check these out" he mentioned, holding up the scarf and mittens. "It's getting colder by the minute isn't it."

The teens chuckled along with the older man although the atmosphere seemed tense.

"I'm gonna go look at the jeans at the other end of the store." Olivia said slowly, pointing her thumb behind her.

Penelope nodded absentmindedly and before she knew it, it was just the two of them.

"So.." She started. "Thanks for not telling your dad about me?" She said, her tone laced with hurt.

Phoenix sighed and ran a hand down his face.

"It's complicated."

Penelope looked even more hurt at his response.

"I didn't ask you about your parents because I know you have trouble opening up Nix, but it's kind of embarrassing to be introducing myself to your father since we've been dating for a while." She said, the waver in voice expressing that she was upset.

"Fuck, I know. I'm sorry baby." Phoenix said trying to reach out to her.

Penelope crossed her arms and turned away as someone came to pull out a pair of jeans.

"This isn't a good place to talk." She murmured.

Phoenix sighed. To him this was the perfect place to have a conversation of this nature. It was almost guaranteed to not escalate although he would be kidding himself if he thought a disagreement with Penelope would ever get to that level.

"Okay" He decided to reply.

Letting out a more subtle sigh he spoke again.

"You could- you should come to mine."

Penelope turned to him, slight interest in her eyes.

"Okay" She said after a pause.

"I'll pick you up when you're free."

Penelope nodded and started to walk off before Phoenix loosely grabbed her wrist.

"You mean everything to me." He said, his eyes flickering amongst her blues.

He leaned down to press a kiss to her forehead before letting her walk out of the store.