THIRTYSEVEN|PRIDE

Most people barely noted the days that passed, but I counted down the days until my due date

I willed it forward, wishing it closer.

The sooner my son was born, the safer he would be. I was furious with Theos, I had tried to tell him what would happen if he carried on with that sluts sister but he didn't want to hear it. I don't think he quite realised the gravity of what I had to say.

My child could die.
Our child.

The life that together we created could be extinguished by their own selfish desires.

I wiped the sweat from my brow as the other females hurried around me. I had always helped in the kitchen, feeding the those few of the pack that chose to reside within the pack house was never easy, even though they were only a small percentage of the Kingdoms population their masses were still over two hundred. Many of the females volenteered through out the pack house, most, like myself doing mundane daily chores.

I scrubbed the remains of tonight's meal from the last of the plates, handing each one to the female next to me who dried them.

"Flick.. you look pale, are you ok?"

Her voice swam through my mind like a fleeting thought, I thought about answering, but then I wasn't sure wether she had really had said it or whether I had just imagined it. I blinked rapidly to try to collect my thoughts but still the mist in my mind would not clear.

"Flick, I really think you should sit down before you fall down.." I flinched as she rested her hand on my forearms, taking the cloth and dish from my hands.

"No, no." I mumbled, "I'm fine."

A jolt of pain stuck my stomach, and I buckled over. "Flick sit down!" An older woman ordered, as another female brought a chair over. I eased onto it, hoping that the nausea would soon wear off. It didn't. It only grew tenfold.

I barely noticed the small crowd that had gathered around me as I began to rock slightly, hoping to ease my pains.

"What's happening?" One woman cried, "Is it the baby?"

"No." I forced through gritted teeth, "It's her!"

This was all her fault. I thought that her death would rid me from her clutches, but even in death she tormented me, reincarnated into another purple eyed demon, hellbent on ruining everything I had worked for.

Daddy always told me I would never amount to anything.

I had fought so damned hard for years to prove him wrong, I had fought for the hope that one day... one day he might be proud of me.

-That one day he would be proud of the daughter he had instead of the son he wished me to be.

I wanted to prove that I was worthy of his love.

What would he think of me now? A desperate whore carrying the child of a man who didn't even love her.

Daddy was a callus man, who spoke few words except to scold me. When I was a child, before my mother died, I had memories of him tucking me into bed at night, kissing me on the forehead and wishing me goodnight.

After her death the only kisses I received were drunken and sloppy, I dreaded those kisses, always knowing what they lead too...

I used to lock my door at night, and hide under my cover, preying that he wouldn't come in.

He always did.

Those intoxicated kisses always lead to me awakening to bloody thighs.

Yet still I craved his approval.

"Flick!" I jolted back to reality, my heart beating a little faster than it should.

"What?" I almost growled, pinching the bridge of my nose.

"You said it was her.. who are you talking about?"

I closed my eyes and felt daddy's fist strike my chest. I cried out in pain, as the females around me called out for a medic.

I looked up only to realise that it wasn't my father who's fist sunk into my heart.
The corpse stared at me with her haunting lilac eyes, her ghostly pale hair hung lank to her hips. She grabbed at my heart, twisting the bitter organ with unforgiving hands.

"Flick, who did this to you?"

Her lavender eyes bore into me with such burning hatred, as I stared back in fear. The air seemed to ignite with the fire in her eyes and soon I was burning up, my flesh felt scorched as a think layer of sweat shined my skin.

Right when I thought she may tear my heart from my chest she let me go, and I slumped defeatedly, my bones ached and my heart throbbed painfully.

I had taken everything she had ever had, everything she ever was.

Now it was her turn, to take from me the one thing she could that had me trembling for forgiveness. I watched her eyes slowly crawl down my body, to rest upon my swollen stomach.

"Mare!" I cried, breaking down into tears. "It's all my fault."

***
Q- does this change your perception of Flick at all?
Any thoughts? Theories?
Don't forget to vote and comment!
-🍟