THIRTYTWO|UMBRA

He said what he did was called a claim

To open a bond between us, that would be sealed by mating. Forever.

For the very second his canines buried themselves into my flesh a door opened that could never be closed.

Beyond that door was a whole new world. New senses, new thoughts, new feelings.

It was like we were the only two to exist in this wretched world and that distressed me. This was wrong, so wrong. I felt like I had betrayed my sister, though he didn't directly kill her it was his command that lit the flame that blew up in her face.

My entire body felt as though it was humming with the electricity of his touch, whatever had been there before seemed like a tiny candle flame compared to this inferno.

But we weren't and I was brought back to reality by a sniffle from the pale haired child.

The very child who now sat curled up in a ball before the fire. The safe place Theos had spoken of was a large timber cabin on the outskirts of the pack. His home.

It felt strangely personal to be let into his own private space.

The flames hissed and cracked as they devoured a fat log under the safety of the hearth. The child didn't stir as I slid from her grasp, venturing across the hall.

Theos sat behind a desk in his study doing paperwork, the light casting harsh shadows in the hollows of his cheekbones, making him look just as threatening as he actually was. A shark pang of pain in my shoulder reminded me of that.

I leaned against the door frame, just watching him for a while. How his forearms flexed and tensed. How his hands ran through his dark hair every now and again.

He knew I was there, but he made no move to acknowledge me. He was angry with himself, his pride had been wounded when his beast took control. He said his beast had only ever managed to get full control over him one other time.. the day Mare died. He wouldn't say anymore, but his actions spoke louder than any words ever could.

With a sigh he threw down the papers he had been working with on the desk. "Why don't you just come in already?"

I bit my lip, edging further in I mumbled, "I didn't want to disturb you."

He pinched the bridge of his nose, wrinkling his forehead. I must be annoying him, I began to back out. "I should go.."

"No." He rumbled. "Stay."

Part of me liked him telling me what to do. The simplicity of the short and sharp commands made sinful parts of myself tingle, but the nonconformist within wanted to rebel just to spite him. Maybe that was the part that was still bitter over Mare..

I stepped inside the room, sucking in a anxious breath as I shut the door, careful to keep it from slamming.

"You said you didn't want to disturb me?" He said with a frustrated smile as I perched on the edge of the desk next to him, scanning over the documents. I nodded.

"Then tell me Artemis," His smouldering honey eyes seemed to pierce holes in my heart, making it fumble and skip beats. "Why no matter how hard I try.." His strong hands wrapped around my hips and a bolt of lightning shot through my every limb, pulling me toward him in one fluid moment so that I slid from the desk to straddle him, the electricity practically humming between us. "I can never seem to get you out of my head."

My greedy hands climbed to feel his hard and muscled chest, to feel his heart and that sacred spark that only mates could feel, only to feel the strong pulse was just as erratic as mine. My lips parted slightly, slow, shallow held breaths trying to settle the raging tides inside that caused my fingers to shake in a way that they didn't before though seemed to now.

He gazed down at me lazily through half hooded eyes, watching my fascination at the deep, rhythmic bass of his heart. I couldn't stop the whisper that escaped my lips almost in disbelief at my discovery, "You feel it too?"

A small smile spread across his lips, as his hand cupped my cheek. "Of course I do."

He was thunder.
He was lightning.
He was rain.

But after it all he was the sun, the blinding ray of gold that shone through the darkness he surrounded himself in.

***
EXCITING NEWS! ALL THREE of my published books ( AMELIA, ARDEN AND AMORA) are back on wattpad!! For a limited time only!!
Especially make sure to read AMELIA if you're interested in Astorias story :)
Sorry for the not very eventful chapter😬
-🍟