THIRTYSIX|TONITRUA

It felt wrong to lie in Theos' bed that night, engulfed in the throws that smelled like him, whilst he slept in his third in command Lotan's house.

My fingers curled around the thick pelt that surrounded me, cocooning me in its honeysuckle warmth. The smell of his cedar shampoo, and that hint of something that was so distinctly male... it was like a drug to me, making goosebumps rise on my arms, and the bite on me neck tingle.

Though it felt wrong, I was glad he had given us our space. Carmen and Dalia slept on the couches below, wrapped up with the heat from the dying embers to warm their aching bones. Pollux has refused to sleep, instead preferring to join the patrols, I guessed that after so long spent locked in a cage he was grateful for the space.

Though tonight I pitied him, the weather was harsh, and whilst the cabin Theos had built was sturdy and thick walled, the howls of the wind could still be heard over the patter of rain on the windows.

I sat awake in the large bed, despite the comfort feeling more alone than ever. I stared out through the floor to ceiling window that took up more of the opposite wall.

Was Astoria out there? Did she feel the chill?
Either way, I wondered where she was.

I clutched the blankets tighter to my chest as a bolt of light illuminated the room.
But with the flash, came something else.. something that was blinding white and wicked.

White gloves hands coiled around my wrists like snakes, constricting my movement and pinning me to the table.

My body shook with fear as I stared wide eyed out of the window at the flashing lights. Another flash.

My vision was reduced to a blinding white, a flash of never ending pain. I cried out. I tried to scream, but only the white got void filled my throat, thick and suffocating as I began to choke on my own screams.

I wanted to close my eyes, to lay back down. Close your eyes and go to sleep.

But I couldn't tear my eyes away from the horror show of memories that flooded my unconscious. I was frozen in place. Perhaps my fear, perhaps by something far more sinister.

A clap of thunder shook my bones, rattling my faith like stones in a glass, it began to crack.
Fragments of my resolve beginning to splinter and shatter, piece by piece.

Until all the stones came free, landing amongst the shards.

Neither could be salvaged without blood and pain.

A scarlet tear was the only salvation from the white nothingness, it crawled from my lip like a serpents tongue, flickering and forked as another droplet joined it.

Thick and warm it crawled down my throat. My entire body began to convulse under the shock of the current. I wasn't strong enough control my own limbs as they flailed against my restraints.

My heart thundered in time with a flash that lit up the grounds outside, so that I could see a figure stood just outside the tree line, staring back up at me as the rain stormed down upon them.

And in the second flash, they were gone. I blinked rapidly, rubbing my eyes only to realise I had been crying.

A thunderous bang shook the cabin, and I heard Dalia cry out from downstairs. The poor child was probably just as terrified as I was. Had they used electroshock therapy on her too?

I jolted away from the door in fear as it flew open. A soaking wet Theos stared at me with worried eyes, raindrops crawling down his face from his dark hair.

"Theos.. what-"

"I sensed your fear." He said through ragged breaths, his shirt clinging to his toned chest. "I would never have left you if I would've known.."

He ran a hand through his damp hair, "I'm so sorry."

I held the blankets to my chest, staring at him with wide, flustered eyes. "Don't be." I said breathily.

He moved to the closet, pulling out a pair of grey joggers. Then something struck me, "What do you mean you sensed my fear?"

He effortlessly pulled off his shirt, throwing it into the wash bin. I stared transfixed at his defined back, how each muscle moved as he did so. "It's a mate thing, strong emotions felt by one are picked up by the other." He rummaged in the draw.

I stared out the window bashfully as he took off his jeans. Strange how as soon as Theos arrived, I had completely forgotten about the storm outside.
"Oh." I mumbled, trying to keep my voice even.

I looked up as he pulled the grey joggers over a pair of grey boxers, and I could've died.
How was it even possible for him to look that good, even doing the simplest things.

I bit my lip as he walked towards the door, "Wait."

His peircing amber eyes seemed so sharp in the dim light, they almost seemed to glow. Something deep in my chest, the most primal part of me called out to him, and for once, I let it. "Stay."

He needed no other instructions, I shifted to allow him to climb in next to me. My face burned at the thought of his soft olive skin. I felt the bed dip.

His eyes never left mine. And for some strange reason that pleased the beast inside me more than anything.

"Thank you." I whispered and a small smile tugged at the corners of his lips.

***
Don't forget to vote and comment!
-🍟