TWENTYTWO|BROOD

"Well

"Well.. There is one thing." He hesitated, looking at me with a look that asked once more if I was sure I wanted to know.

"What?" I asked cautiously.

"Flick's pregnant."

I felt sick to my stomach, my heart felt like it had stopped beating and for a brief moment I wondered if I was dying.

My blood ran like ice through my veins. "What." I echoed again but this time I choked on my words.

"Don't hold your breath, Dulce. It's happened before, but the pup didn't survive."

Another blow.
Another part of me seemed to crumble like ash and dust.

He took my silence for confusion. I understood him perfectly clear.

"She fell pregnant about a year ago, but sadly miscarried." He said, twisting a pearl grey lock around his finger. "She's likely to miscarry again."

My voice shook when I spoke. "How come?"

He turned to me with the faintest trace of a smile. "Because you're here."

***

I didn't wish to here anymore after that, instead I returned to my room to let the burning green jealousy inside me fester.

It scared me how bitter jealousy wasn't the only thing I felt, betrayal grabbed at my ribs, pulling and pushing. Giving and taking until I felt like I would break.

He did this.
He was just as guilty as she was.

I knew when it had happened, the night she went into heat.
She came to visit me after she fucked him, just to rub it in that little bit more. Sick bitch.

My emotions turning against my to scorch my soul and coil tightly around my chest like a snake, the black serpent drained of colour and wrapped so tightly I couldn't breathe.
Then suddenly, I was no longer on satin sheets and rich cream velvet. I was back in the lab.

The earth was cold but my heart was colder.
I had been abused. Tortured. Raped and sold like a broodmare.

Shit like that didn't go without a consequence.
And the price was my sanity. My emotion.

For longer than I would've liked to admit I cried myself to sleep. Every night I muffled my sobs into cut and bloodied palms, but after time, like my palms, my wounds healed. Scars formed. Skin that was once smooth and supple turned boundless and thick with scar tissue.

But it healed none the less.

I winced as a twinge of pain shot through my side. Electro therapy they called it, their latest fascination.

It involved being strapped down to a chair, and different voltages of electricity being sent through you whilst different images showed on a screen.

Sometimes we would move facilities, the white coats would shove us into vans and we would drive for days. Always moving. Always running.

One day a girl, Lucia, broke the door to the back of the van, and broke free. She jumped from the vehicle on a highway.

She didn't get far before they shot her dead and left her lying there on the roadside.
She was seventeen years old.

I didn't dare try to escape after that.

I couldn't remember my life before, I couldn't remember my family but I knew that I must've had one. I would rather stay here to rot then have them sent my dead body in a body bag.

I clawed at my throat and chest, taking deep gasping gulps of air.

The darkness inside threatened to surface, I had just seen a glimpse of it, just a slither of black clawing it's way through a new found world of honeysuckle light.

It would never leave me, the memories would stay forever burned as scar tissue in my brain. They had to stay, without darkness there was no light, but that didn't make them any less terrifying.

I stumbled my way with shaking knees to the place I knew that I would find him.

In this moment he seemed to be the only thing to calm my raging tides, matching my darkness with his own.

I pushed through the grand doors to find his empty study, rouge curtains were pulled back across Mare's painting, and my eyes caught on the full bottle of amber whiskey that lay unopened on the desk.

I grabbed it, holding it like the last thing tethering me to this earth as I sank to the floor besides a book shelf.

***
Really short chapter sorry :(
MY AMORA is now complete!!! So please go and check it out if you have time and leave a comment! :)
Anyways...
Don't forget to vote and comment!
-🍟