51 | How?

I watched as Emiko was danced across the floor with my friends. She looked to be having a good time, for which I was grateful. She'd only seen my face for a second, but it wasn't hard to tell she was still thinking about it.

I had no idea how she'd known I was upset, I'd masked my emotions so quickly and cleanly. I'd spotted my father across the room, and we'd made eye contact for one second. I still hadnt forgiven him, hadnt even come close, but her worry had completely redirected my entire train of thought like a flip of a switch.

At this point it was fairly easy to say I didn't just love her, but I was most likely in love with her. At some point I knew she had to meet my parents, but I wasn't entirely sure how to do that. I hated my father, and wanted him nowhere near her beautiful being. I loved my mother though, but I'd have to explain how I got my burn before I could introduce the pair. I was worried about that, it was obvious Emiko didn't loathe my scar, but I knew she'd be upset once she found out how I got it. I just had no idea how to explain it to her in a way that she understood. First I'd have to figure out how to bring up the subject.

"You haven't stopped looking at her since she walked onto that dancefloor."

I turned my gaze to my sister, who was smiling fondly at my girlfriend. I loved that word, though it'd never meant anything to me before. "I was just thinking."

"Must have had something to do with her."

I sighed. "I was wondering how to explain our parents to her."

Fuyumi was silent for several seconds. "I think you've just got to tell her. There's no easy way to do it, and she'll be upset no matter what you say. Trust her Shouto, she loves you." Fuyumi smiled at me. "She won't tell your secrets to anyone, and she's not going to reject you for them."

I relaxed slightly, wondering how she'd eased the worries I didn't know I'd had. I turned my attention back to Emiko. "I just hope she'll trust me with her secrets someday."

My sister laughed sympathetically. "She still hasn't told you why she's so afraid of her quirk or why she moved all the way up here to live with her uncle?"

I shook my head. "No, but I think I'm closer now than I was a month ago."

Fuyumi pat my shoulder. "Relax and give her time, like she's doing for you."

I nodded and she left. Emiko bounced to my side a few dances later, looking slightly worn. I smiled and rested my hand on her shoulder. "You tired of dancing?"

She nodded, leaning against me.

I nodded. "I thought so, people are starting to show their families around, why don't I take you around?"

She nodded with a slight smile and I led her out of the room, smiling as she wrapped her arms around mine.

I showed her around the school for a bit, showing her the training field last. There weren't many people on the field, and those that were, they were all pretty far away. Nevertheless I led her to the bleachers where we could relax. Noticing the chill in the air I stripped myself of my jacket and draped it around her. Emiko buried her nose in it, and I could tell she was smiling as I wrapped my arms around her waist.

"Tonight has been really nice Shouto." She smiled up at me, and I was struck by the urge to kiss her. I got those a lot. "Thank you for bringing me."

I smiled down at her, admiring her brilliant blue eyes and how they reflected the starlight so well. "I'm glad you wanted to come, I don't think I would've had nearly as much fun if you didn't."

She laughed lightly, leaning into my side for a few seconds before pulling away again. "Hey, so umm, can I know why you looked so...." She trailed off, searching for the word she wanted to use.

I sighed and supplied a few for her. "Displeased? Borderline angry? Annoyed?"

"Yeah, all of those. You don't have to tell me, I just, want to understand." Her voice trailed off near the end and I kissed her forehead, simply enjoying the moment before it actually got bad.

"I don't mind. I just..." Now I was the one having a difficult time. I wanted to tell her, to ease her worries, but some part of me froze up, restricted my thoughts. I couldn't figure out how to continue. "I just..." Until I felt a hand slide into my hair, gently working its way through my hair and easing my tension. Emiko smiled slightly.

"You don't have to, I just want to be able to help fix it whenever it happens again."

Dear god, what had I done to be blessed with such a perfect girlfriend? I bent down and placed my lips over hers, kissing her for the first time in a public place.

The kiss was sweet, short and relaxing, in those few seconds I flooded myself with courage. She was wearing a new chapstick.

"It's a family problem, with my dad." I explained as I pulled away. She nodded, though her eyes were still misted over like they were after all of our kisses. I knew it was my doing, I loved it. "I hate him, and when I saw him in the room..."

The mist abruptly cleared. "But, you didn't talk to him right? I mean, if you hate him, that's a plus right?"

I blinked in shock. I hadnt considered that part, I'd only focused on he was in the room and made eye contact with me. Her view instantly made everything seem more tolerable.

"But umm, I didn't hate my father so I don't know if that actually works...umm, at least you had a good night up to that point though right?"

I smiled, my expresion softening. "Yeah, all of tonight was amazing."

She beamed. "See? I know I can't really help much because he's your father, but umm, if you ever get into a fight or something with him and need a place to calm down, uncle Yamada likes you."

My heart beat faster. This girl amazed me every day. "You're very sweet." I murmured. "Thank you."

She beamed. "Anytime Shouto! Anytime, anyday."

I laughed lightly. "I'll walk you home." I stood and offered her my hand. She cheerfully took it with a large smile and followed me down the steps.

I walked her inside, and to the gym. "Wait here okay? I'll get us something warm to drink for the walk." I informed her before walking inside the gym. It took me a few minutes to actually get the hot chocolate, and I added some marshmallows into Emiko's cup. I didn't even like hot chocolate, but I knew she loved it.

Walking outside the gym left me with a heart stopping surprise. Emiko stood exactly where I'd left her, holding up her phone for someone to read. Someone I recognised instantly. My father.