What if he catches on that I like him?!

He ended up flipping Ashton off instead.

Ashton stopped where he was and frowned at the hand before running back inside.

"No!" Luke cried. He angrily kicked the ball far away, and it landed somewhere where he never found it again.

Age 12

Ashton put his backpack in his locker and brushed his hair away from his eyes. He really needed a bandana or something.

He closed the door and hurried to his class.

He stopped short when he saw a familiar meanie in the back of the class.

He sat up front instead.

Luke's heart broke when he saw Ashton look at him, and then sit far away from him.

Throughout the class, he kept sneaking glances at Ashton.

The poor boy was trying to keep his curls out of his eyes every three seconds.

Luke felt the bandana he was wearing. He didn't need it....he was planning on quiffing his hair anyways.

When class got out, Luke ran up to Ashton and thrusted the bandana into the startled boys hands before running away. He didn't want to risk upsetting Ashton again.

Ashton watched him go in bewilderment before reluctantly tying the fabric around his head.

It certainly helped, and he smiled a bit.

Age 15

Camping was fun.

Camping with Luke was not fun.

Ashton crossed his arms and sulked as his dad helped him set up the tent he and Luke would be sharing.

"Why are you so grumpy?" Mr. Irwin asked. "You love camping! And this year your best friend gets to come with!"

"Luke is not my best friend." Ashton glared. "He's a meanie."

Mr. Irwin sighed. "Ashton, you're not five. And he's not a meanie. Just get along for two weeks alright?"

"Whatever." Ashton muttered. He felt eyes on him and looked up to see Luke staring at him.

Ashton glared at him and threw his hands up in a 'what are you looking at me for?' manner.

Luke blushed and quickly turned away.

Ashton huffed and crawled inside the tent.

It was late and he wanted to fall asleep before Luke came in.

But he found it impossible when he realised he forgot his sleeping bag in the car. Which his dad would have locked by now.

He groaned and hugged his pillow to his chest. It was just one night. He could survive.

There was the sound of a zipper being pulled outside the tent and then Luke crawled in.

Ashton ignored him and heard him climb into his sleeping bag.

A few minutes later, Luke sat up. "Okay I can't take this any more. You're shivering. Come take my sleeping bag."

"I don't need it!" Ashton snapped.

"Ash, you're cold as ice." Luke said gently as he placed his hand on Ashton's arm.

"Don't call me that and don't touch me!" Ashton shoved his hand off.

Luke was silent a moment and Ashton tensed, waiting fot him to speak again.

Suddenly Luke grabbed Ashton and pulled him back onto his sleeping bag.