Chapter 28

" You're beautiful, but you're empty...One couldn't die for you. Of course, an ordinary passerby would think my rose looked just like you. But my rose, all on her own, is more important than all of you together, since she's the one I've watered. Since she's the one I put under glass, since she's the one I sheltered behind the screen. Since she's the one for whom I killed the caterpillars (except the two or three butterflies). Since she's the one I listened to when she complained, or when she boasted, or even sometimes when she said nothing at all. Since she's my rose. "

- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, The Little Prince

(DREAM SEQUENCE)

Destruction and despair wandered around the streets of New York City. The blue and pink-skinned troopers along with their reptilian allies had ruthlessly murdered some heroes who fought and caught some civilians to be enslaved. A young blonde half-Kree woman witnessed the brutality while defending the city and fighting against the invaders along with her cohorts.

Flying and blasting around, she noticed an armored man being attacked by a nine feet lizard. Colonel James Rhodes or War Machine was struggling to fight back when he got impaled by its claws. His blood splattered on the ground.

" CAROL!! " he cried in excruciating pain.

She saw the horror of approaching death when the lizard had ended his life. Carol Danvers or Captain Marvel rushed herself for revenge. The yellow photon energy emitted from her hands and blasted the reptilian. It stood up and angrily roared when it was about to kill the half-Kree woman. Carol punched the lizard's gut as the blood dripped from its mouth and sent it flying. She went over to her dying boyfriend and knelt beside him.

" Rhodey, we have to get you some help, " she said and held his right hand. " Please hang-in there..."

" Carol....I can't...be with....you..." he weakingly replied and touched her face for the last time. " You...need...to fight back..."

" Rhodey! Please, don't leave me! " she bitterly wept. " I can't do this without you! "

" You have to fight for us...I know you can..."

His breath had expired as he closed his eyes. Carol saw death from her loved one and wailed while hugging his lifeless body. It was the most fateful day which it had changed her entire life.

(Rouen, France: 6:00 AM)

The elderly half-Kree woman awakened from a lingering memory from the past which it turned to a nightmare. She instantly sat up and turned her head around. Carol saw her son sleeping peacefully as she sighed in relief.

" Thank goodness. He hasn't got any nightmares from 682, since I'm sleeping beside him, " she sadly thought and gently patted his head. " Now, I'm still having that tragic memory turned into a nightmare, too. I hope I won't lose this kid from those invaders. I'll do my best to protect him. "

The Kree-Lizard hybrid slowly opened his eyes and saw his mother-figure had got up earlier than him. He loudly yawned and stretched his arms as Carol laughed at him.

" Good morning, Kid! Rise and Shine! " she smiled.

" Good morning, what day is it? " he asked.

" It's Saturday. You don't have learning sessions every weekend. "