Chapter 23

(Listen to music. It works better.)

Edward's P.O.V:

I was in shock at the way Bella treated the twins. I made up my mind. I was glad I decided to skip today. I didn't want to be near Bella. I would kill Bella if I had to go today. She insulted my mate and that pissed me off.

As the time for lunch passed, I felt myself growing restless. I was itching to be near Wanda. "We're going to meet them outside like usual. Would you like to come with us?" Alice asked. I looked over at my adopted sister and nodded.

As the bell rang, I followed my siblings to the bleachers. As we neared, we heard the sound of sobbing. "Тсс. Ванда. Все нормально. Сосредоточься на моем голосе." Pietro said as he comforted his crying twin. (Shh. Wanda. Everything is fine. Focus on my voice.)

"Я не могу" Wanda sobbed. (I can't.) "Yes, you can. Do you remember what Lorna used to say all the time?" Pietro asked his sister. She just nodded as she continued to sob. "Let's repeat them together," Pietro said.

"I'm smarter because of my mistakes," Pietro started. "And now I'm viser because I've learned," Wanda said as she started to calm down. "I'm happier because of the sadness I've known," Pietro continued. "And now I'm stronger because I had to be," Wanda said as she took in a deep breath.

"Wanda? Pietro?" Alice called out as we walked over to them. The Twins heads snapped over and they looked at us. "Are you guys okay?" Alice asked even though we knew the answer. Wanda wasn't okay and Pietro looked like he was about to cry.

Wanda shook her head and sobbed slightly. "Are you alright?" I asked. I watched as Wanda shook her head and then looked at her twin. It was like they were communicating through their eyes. Maybe they were.

"You know vhen you're drowning, you don't inhale until right before you blackout. It's called voluntary apnea. It's like no matter how much you're freaking out, the instinct to not let any vater in is so strong that you von't open your mouth until you feel like your head's exploding.

But then vhen you finally do let it in, that's vhen it stops hurting. It's not scary anymore. It's.....it's kind of peaceful." Pietro said as he looked at us. Alice and I had a confused face on what he was talking about.

But Jasper seemed to know what they were talking about. "Ve're fine. Yeah, aside from the not sleeping, the jumpiness, the constant, overvhelming, crushing fear that something terrible's about to happen." Wanda continued for her brother.

"It's called hyper-vigilance, the persistent feeling of being under threat," Jasper said as I moved to sit down next to Wanda. "But it's not just a feeling, though. It's - it's like it's a panic attack. You know, like I can't even breathe." Wanda said as she buried her face into Pietro's shirt.

"Like you're downing?" I asked. "Yeah," Wanda breathed out. Alice asked with a thoughtful look on her face, "So if you're drowning, and you're trying to keep your mouth closed until that very last moment, what if you choose to not open your mouth? To not let the water in?"

"You do anyvay. It's a reflex." Pietro said as he looked at his sister. I looked at the Twins and asked, "But if you hold off until that reflex kicks in, you have more time, right?" "Not much time." The Twins answered together.

"But more time to fight your way to the surface?" Alice pressed. Pietro sighed and said, "I guess." "More time to be rescued?" She pressed again. Wanda looked at her like she was crazy. "More time to be in agonizing pain.

I mean, did you forget about the part vhere you feel like your head's exploding?" She asked. Jasper asked in a soft voice, "If it's about survival, isn't a little agony worth it?" Wanda sighed and asked, "But vhat if it just gets vorse? Vhat if it's agony now and then - and it's just hell later on?"

I looked Wanda in the eye and said, "Then think about something Winston Churchill once said - 'If you're going through hell, keep going.'" I gently pulled Wanda from her brother's arms and into my own.

We sat like this till the bell rang for the next period. As it did, We all walked to class and got ready for our lesson. The class passed by slowly and I couldn't stop thinking about what Wanda said. She was in pain and I couldn't do anything about it.

Once the last bell rang, I watched at Pietro and Wanda quickly left the room. I walked to my car with lost in my thoughts. I wonder why she was in so much pain. I was frustrated that I couldn't read her mind to find out. Maybe tomorrow will be better.