XXVIII

"Oooh. Perfect timing." Harleen said in a lowered voice to Noor as she rubbed her hands together looking first at Victoria and then in the direction Prem left to answer the phone call in. "Boss! Let's have some fun with this one today."

Noor gave Harleen a look as Victoria reached them.

"Hey Noor!" She greeted Noor in her same old sarcastic tone.

"Hi Victoria." Noor shifted a little to lean back against the sofa and spread her arms out to both sides while crossing her legs. Harleen admired her ability to claim authority in any situation.

"You look happy today." Victoria remarked seeing the visibly glowing Noor. "Did you husband accidentally look at you this morning?"

"Always so damn interested in my husband, huh?" Noor's smile spelled out destruction.

"Well he's not okay with you being interested in him, so someone has to take your place." Victoria taunted.

"Did you hear that Harleen? She came to take my place." Noor turned her face to look at Harleen.

"I did, boss." Harleen shook her head in disapproval. "I did."

"I didn't come to take you place." Victoria interrupted them. "I have already taken your place. I'd like to remind you that you husband spends nights with me. Not you."

Noor looked at her for a second. "Well, I guess it's time to change that then, isn't it?"

"Excuse me?" Victoria stared at her blankly.

"You're excused. Forever...from this house. Your services are no longer needed here. You may never return again." Noor declared in a tone as laid back as there can be.

"I'm sorry. Who are you and why would I listen to you?" Victoria let out a little laugh as she shifted her weight from one leg to the other.

"I am Gurnoor Kaur, Sandhu-Dhaliwal. The owner of Sandhu Investments, co-founder of Dhaliwal Properties, the lady of the house you're standing in, and the wife of Premjit Singh Dhaliwal. I dare you to question my position under my roof one more time." The power in Noor's voice sent chills down the spines of everyone in hearing range.

Victoria swallowed. "Whatever." She rolled her eyes and began heading towards the hallway to Prem's room.

"Roger." Noor called out.

"Yes ma'am." The security guard from outside the main door rushed inside.

"I know it's not your job to remove garbage from the house, but the cleaning crew is a little busy at the moment. Would you mind?" She gestured towards Victoria.

"It would be an honor, ma'am." He smiled at Noor heading immediately over to Victoria. "I'm going to have to ask you to leave the premises." He told her blocking her access to the hallway.

"Are you serious?" Victoria threw up her hands as she looked back at Noor. "What is your problem?" She asked making way back towards Noor.

"My problem..." Noor glanced over at Harleen once again. "I don't think I have a problem. In fact, I think I just solved my biggest problem. You...out." She looked at Victoria and then the door at her last word.

"What is this? A sudden awakening to win over Prem or some shit? In your fucking dreams, he hates you. You know you wouldn't even be talking if he was around let alone asking me to leave!" Victoria had just finished her sentence when Prem appeared in the hallway opposite from Victoria and made way into the living room over to them. Noor rose to her feet as he took a moment to scan his surroundings.

"Prem!" Victoria threw up her hands immediately walking over to him. "Where were you?" She asked putting one hand on his bicep while the other reached for his face.

Catching her hand by the wrist inches from Prem's cheek, Noor lowered it ever so slowly before stepping in between them and releasing it from her clenched grip. The danger in her eyes penetrated so deeply and so effectively into Victoria that she ended up lifting her other hand off of Prem's bicep. Unwilling to accept defeat just yet, however, Victoria wiped away any signs of fear and intimidation that had taken over her face and spoke... "Damn, I had no idea you would get so worked up with me simply reaching for Prem in your presence. You know I do a lot more than that in your absence." She smiled evilly. "And if that's the reaction I'll get, it'll be fun to do some more in your presence too." She winked.