XIX

The morning had been the first of its type in a long time for Noor and her home. The day seemed to an auspicious one for Noor to get back to work, so even though it was later than her regular time, she went to her office. Most of the time in the first couple of hours she was there was spent getting caught up in everything she missed while she was gone. It was only after lunch she got to head out for what she considered real work, a meeting with a new builder for an upcoming project.

Harleen and Noor had just taken a seat in the car to leave for the meeting when Noor received a call from Peter. In an extremely panicked voice, he informed her of her aunt's admission into a hospital after she suffered a cardiac arrest. Frightened out of her mind, Noor instantly ordered her driver to head for the hospital. Her aunt was in the operation theater when she reached so she sat in the waiting area, nervous, panicked, and praying. She couldn't imagine a life where the only blood relation she had left was no longer with them. Her bhuji had never let Prem and she feel like they have no parents. She was always there for them to the best of her abilities. Noor and Prem would truly become orphans if they lost her. Noor couldn't help but cry silently at that thought as she paced around the waiting area.

"Noor, Prem's here." Harleen informed here softly.

Equally shaken, Prem entered through the sliding door and the first person he saw was Noor. Unable to hold back, she ran straight over to him and threw her arms around his neck allowing herself to break down.

"Prem! Bhuji..." Noor sobbed on his shoulder. Prem's vision had become blurred as well when he put his arms around her. He held her tightly with one hand on her back and the other behind her head.

Harleen watched in awe as they held onto one another as each other's only support and lifeline forgetting everything else.

"She'll be fine." He whispered. "I promise." He tried to calm her down by patting her head. It took Noor a few minutes to get a hold of herself and withdraw. Unable to think or speak, they slowly walked, hand in hand, over to a few empty chairs and took a seat. The surgery must have taken an hour before someone came out to speak to them. To their relief, the surgery was successful, and their aunt's life had been saved. They waited until she gained consciousness and then headed over to see her.

"My babies..." Their aunt feebly held out both her hands when she saw Prem and Noor enter her room. They rushed over to give her emotional hugs before they both grabbed one of her hands each and sat on either side of her bed.

"We're so glad you're fine, Tayiji. We would've died if something happened to you." Prem spoke as he kissed her hand and put it on his forehead.

"We truly would've died, Bhuji. Thank you for coming back!" Noor told bhuji in agreement with Prem.

"From I to we. I sense some progress between you two." Bhuji smiled as she teased them. "But I couldn't have died just yet. I will never receive peace if I leave you two in this condition. I have something very important left to accomplish." She slowly brought their hands together and placed them in each other's. Prem and Noor looked at one another and then down at their elderly aunt. She reached up and ran her hands on the sides of both their faces and kissed them. They sat next to their aunt for a while, mostly listening to her talk.

"Noor, send in Harleen. Will you?" Her bhuji requested as they were leaving.

"Sure." Noor exchanged a confused look with Prem before she agreed and headed out to deliver the message. Harleen was also taken aback at Bhuji's request to see her but went in to see her, nonetheless.

"Harleen! Come in." Bhuji invited Harleen to take a seat next to her bed.

"How are you feeling?" Harleen asked her as she took the seat.

"I'm well. Thank you for asking." Bhuji replied. "And thank you for coming in to see me."

"No, I was elated you had asked for me. I was going to come in a little later anyway! But please, tell me what I can do for you." Harleen offered.

"You know Harleen, when I first saw you, I was pulled towards your positive energy. I predicted you would bring in some minor changes into Noor's life as her assistant but could have never imagined you pulling off what you did last night. Also, this morning, I found out about the little trick you played under my name to bring Prem to breakfast. These things may seem minor to someone on the outside, but they are earth shattering changes to our life. Things between Prem and Noor had exacerbated so much that I did not think anyone could fix them but what I saw you pull off last night and this morning, gives me hope. So much hope, that I believe that sole ray of hope is responsible for me being here right now and not in morgue." Bhuji squeezed Harleen's hand at the word hope.