XV

Prem visited Noor every single night during her stay at the hospital but made certain she didn't once see him. On one night after his visit to the hospital, while sitting next to the water in his backyard, he couldn't help but ponder long and hard about his state of mind. Noor's condition had shaken the very core of him. He had taken her completely for granted over the past two years as she had willingly allowed him to. That no matter what took place between them, no matter what they did or said to one another, they would always find each other under the same roof every night. That they may not cross paths, share love, or even words with one another but breathing the same air as each other was enough to keep them going. However, seeing Noor in a life threatening situation right before his eyes in his very arms evoked an old insecurity inside him. The insecurity of losing her. An insecurity that had gotten buried somewhere in his mind along with the various other emotions he kept locked away for the past two years. The explosive heartache he had experienced when he saw Noor lying unconscious before him was something, he simply could not move past.

Days went on and Noor was discharged from the hospital as she came close to a full recovery. Though out of the hospital, Bhuji had issued strict orders against Noor going to work. She was able to spend some quality time with her aunt in the following days of her recovery.

Harleen visited Noor every day to keep her updated with her work. On one of the days, though, it was later towards the evening when she walked in overly excited and entered right behind her, a guy. Noor had never seen him before and Harleen introduced him as Karan.

"I checked with Prem's secretary; he should be home in about 30 minutes. You guys have dinner meanwhile. Everything is set up perfectly, he will walk in and see you enjoying yourself with Karan, please show more than straight face to him, please." Harleen spoke fast as she pulled Noor aside to explain the game plan. "Act like you're having a great time, and lead Karan to you room in Prem's presence. He will die out jealousy! Trust me!" Harleen could not contain her excitement as she led Noor by the arm back over to Karan. 

Noor managed to start some small talk as she led Karan over to the dinner table. Harleen joined them ready to cross the t's and dot the i's in their performance during Prem's entry. Noor hadn't set her eyes on Prem from over a week though she was sure he had seen her every night to ensure she was well for his peace of mind. She waited restlessly for his arrival as she wondered if this was a good idea but also wasn't the one to regret something halfway through. The act had started and Noor assured herself she would see it through now.

By the time they finished their food, they heard a car stop outside the door, and in came Prem. Noor's heart fluttered as she saw him. She could never grow tired of seeing his beautiful face. Harleen burst out laughing to grab Noor's attention as she saw a dreamy look take over her face in Prem's presence. Her laughter not only harnessed Noor's attention back to the task at hand but even pulled Prem's curious eyes towards them.

Taking back the control over the situation, "you're so funny." Noor tried to make an amused face at Karan as Prem looked on.

"Oh my god, Karan! I haven't laughed so hard in so long." Harleen immediately followed Noor's lead and complimented him. "I've had enough, so I'm gonna head out now and let you guys enjoy the rest of your evening." She winked at Noor as she got up.

"This was some great dinner, Noor." Karan told her, completely unaware of what was happening around him.

"Oh yeah..." Noor spoke in a low, seductive tone. "You'll like desert even more then." She winked as she reached over to place her hand on his forearm.

"I'm sure I will." He replied in a similar tone.

"Follow me." Noor ordered as she got out of her chair and noticed Prem seated on the sofa. He made an attempt to appear busy on his phone, but she knew she had one hundred percent of his attention.

"This way." Noor told Karan as she put her hand in his hand, interlocked her fingers with his and led him into the hallway towards her room. No longer bothered about veiling his gaze, Prem stared at his wife leading a man towards her bedroom.

Once inside the room, "so...where do we start?" Karan reached forward to grab Noor by the arms as soon as she shut the door.

"Excuse me." She shot him a look before he could lay a finger on her. He withdrew.

"Okay...I understand, no unnecessary touching, no kissing, no cuddling, just the act. Plain sex and I'm out." He held up both of his hands. "You're gonna do to me what he does to you, huh?"

Noor raised an eyebrow waiting for him to follow up with an explanation.

"Oh. Uh...Victoria is a good friend of mine...she told me." He pursed his lips.

"This bitch." Noor was enraged.

"No, no! Don't get me wrong! I had seen her with your husband before, so when I got your invitation, I just asked her...for research purposes. I had to know what I was walking into." He clarified holding up his hands. "But I understand, I won't do anything you're not okay with." He began reaching for her again.

"You won't do anything at all. Period." Noor told him loud and clear. "Go take a seat on that couch and leave in the morning. Your time spent with me will be compensated with another gift like the watch you received last week." She drew air quotes at the word gift.

"So, you're not gonna let me do anything at all?" He was more disappointed than Noor expected he would be.

After changing into her night clothes, Noor prepared her bed as Karan stared at his phone screen on the couch. She thought of Prem's expression when she had led Karan into the hallway towards her room. Thoughts spelling out all sorts of ambitious and disappointing possibilities raced through her mind as she took a seat on her bed. Within a minute or so, she heard the doorknob twist.