The Regular...

"We'll be late, Tayiji." Prem smiled at his aunt as Noor got in the back seat of his car next to him.

"Bye Bhuji." Noor also smiled as the car began moving. Her heart was full so a small grateful smile made its way to her lips as she lifted her face to her side to see Prem. He was looking straight ahead, not showing much of an expression. It was bhuji who insisted they leave in the same car if they're going to the same event. Prem couldn't turn down her request so there they were, on their way. Noor shifted to get comfortable and gently placed her head against the head rest.

They were only a couple streets away when "stop the car." Prem said. His driver immediately pulled over. "Get out." Prem ordered and his driver instantly shuffled to unbuckle his seatbelt. "Not you, Frank." Prem stopped him before looking over to his side at Noor. "Get out." He repeated.

"What?" Noor was shocked.

"Out." He sounded almost impatient.

"Prem...it's raining!" She said pointing out the window.

"Does it look like I care?" Prem asked nonchalantly.

"It took me an hour to get ready, Prem, the rain will ruin it by the time Mario gets here and we're the chief guests so I can't just not show up!" Noor spoke fast as panic built up inside her. "I have some really important clients I have to meet at this event. Please don't do this, Prem. Not right now. Please." Noor pleaded.

"Get out of my car." Prem was unaffected.

"Prem, I'm in a ballgown. This is embarrassing." Noor felt tears building up in her eyes when none of her pleas worked with him. "Please." She managed as she reached for his face.

"Don't...you dare." He gave her the coldest look he could manage. "Don't you dare to fucking touch me. Now get the hell out of my car before I have you removed."

Noor's tears poured out as she withdrew her hands and opened the door of the car. Wiping her cheeks with one hand and holding her expensive gown with the other she stepped out in the pouring rain which managed to soak her before she was fully even out of the car. Sobbing, she shut the door behind her and dropped onto the concrete sidewalk beneath her. Unable to help herself, she screamed looking towards the sky. It was scream partly of anger, partly of self-pity and it was aimed at the universe, at life, at her existence itself for the condition she was in. As Prem's car began moving once again, she was revealed to the ongoing traffic. She sat there crying for a few minutes before giving Peter a call to be picked up by her driver. Luckily, her aunt had gone to her room before Noor arrived back home. She would have been devastated to see Noor.

The next morning Noor woke up to see her friend and advisor, Serena, over for a visit. She was followed by a line of Noor's staff members carrying in flower bouquets.

"They would like you to get well soon...from the accident you were never in." Serena made a face as she picked out a "get well soon" card from one of the bouquets.

Noor shook her head as she took a seat next to Serena on the sofa. "I didn't have a choice. Had to tell them I got into a car accident. It was the only way to keep my reputation intact in front of the organizers and the clients."

"I know." Serena reached over and squeezed Noor's arm a little. "But you're a genius, Noor Dhaliwal. Only you can turn a situation like that in your favor. They already thought very highly of you, but now, after hearing of the accident, you've got a little bit of their pity too. The clients want to meet even sooner now." She smiled.

"I'm glad." Noor said looking straight ahead.