X

The next week or so was spent with Harleen thinking into Noor's situation from every possible angle. She put all of her creativity to work as she searched for potential answers. The condition at Noor's home was the same, monotonous on the five days she didn't see Prem and deeply disturbed by his actions on the two days she did. As painful as it was to admit, Harleen had gotten used to Prem's ways with Noor. Soon, she could not only predict his hurtful moves, but even found herself growing numb to some of them. She understood why so many people in Noor's life witnessed everything and never said anything. She shivered at the thought of herself remaining quiet.

The car that needed to be delivered in the tight time frame they had, arrived just in time for the fundraiser. Noor was impressed with Harleen's work. She could tell this girl, almost 8 years younger than her, really looked up to her. She was sincere, whether it was towards her work, or her affection towards Noor. The hurt in her eyes was very genuine every time she witnessed Noor in pain. She was the only Noor felt should be shielded away and should not have to witness her misery. On one of the nights, Harleen even came forward gave Noor a hug before leaving. Noor wasn't too fond of developing new relationships or getting close to people and sharing hugs but there was something about this girl that had Noor bend the rules. That night, Noor went to sleep thinking long and hard about the impact her life would have on Harleen's young brain.

"Don't Shoot! Noor don't shoot. I beg of you. Please don't shoot! Noor!" Prem cried helplessly on his knees before Noor. Eyes wide and blurred with tears, Noor couldn't see anything but the blood pouring out on the floor to her right. A clamorous shot rang through the house and jerked Noor out of sleep. She sat up, breathless, shaking, and sweating. Her heart was racing, and her mouth was dry. She reached for the water on her side table but was shaking so vigorously she couldn't grip it securely enough to bring it to her lips. She took a couple deep breaths in an attempt to calm her racing heart and even out her breathing. When it did nothing, she climbed out of bed and walked out of her room to the back of her house. She opened the back door and could hear the calm waves crashing lazily against the rocks at the end of the yard as she stepped outside. The cold October night intensified her shaking as she reached the water. Prem was already there, staring straight ahead. Noor could tell he had the same nightmare; it was another one of those nights. Noor took a seat on the rocks as far from Prem as their property's water frontage permitted. None of them in a condition to say a word. They just stared ahead in the dark night at the tall mountain behind the deep lake. Both eyes blurred with tears, hearts beating in regret, pain, betrayal, and much more. An hour must have passed in their daze when they heard footsteps coming towards them.

"Noor, Prem? Are you out here?" Called their Aunt's gentle voice from behind them. She was the only person who still had faith in their barely existing relationship and did everything in her power to bring them together despite everything.

"Ye-ah Bhuji." Noor's voice broke as she replied.

"I saw the lights turned on and thought you guys would be out here. It's so cold!" She arrived clutching tightly at her shawl. "You guys will fall sick!" She held out both her hands, one in each direction, calling for Noor and Prem.

"Just wanted to sit here by the water, Tayiji." Prem smiled getting up and walking over to her. He grabbed the hand she was holding out and kissed it before giving her a hug.

"My baby." She grabbed his face and lowered it give his forehead a kiss before shifting her attention over to Noor, who was also making her way towards her. "What's going on with my other baby now?" Prem tired taking a step back before Noor could arrive but his aunt held him in place.

"I had a nightmare." Noor sighed barely forming her words as she hugged her aunt. Her arm landed on top of Prem's and she looked up at him.

"Funny how the creators of nightmares are the same people who complain about them." His face spelled out utter disgust as he withdrew his arm from behind his Tayiji's back.

"Prem..." His Tayiji pleaded softly as Noor's tear rolled onto her shoulder.

"Sorry Tayiji." He apologized under his breath. "I'll take your leave now. Good night." He managed a smile before heading back towards the house.