XVIII

They ate their breakfast in silence but the joy that danced in the air of their house was so palpable that it was shining in the eyes of everyone under the roof. Noor couldn't remember the last time her home felt so alive and awake. She couldn't recall the last time her staff had this incredible energy. She couldn't recollect when hope for potential change knocked so loudly on her door. She was grateful to the day, to her life, and to the universe for bringing her the time she thought she would never see again in this life, but more than anything else, she was grateful to Harleen. Her nosy, dramatic, insane, and unbelievably optimistic twenty year old assistant who had pulled off nothing less than a miracle in her monotonous, miserable life.

At the end of their meal when Maria reached over to take Noor's plate, Noor grabbed her hand. "Thank you. I know we don't say this enough but thank you. For everything. For putting up with every single thing you have over the past two years. I know they haven't been easy. But I want you to know we genuinely appreciate you." Noor squeezed her hand. "Each and every one of you." Noor looked at every single staff member in sight with gratitude. "Peter. Thank you. You do too much. This house would not go on without you." She finished off.

Maria had tears in her eyes when she replied. "You know why I and many other staff members were able to spend the last two years in this house ma'am? Because all of us had also spent years prior to the past two in this house and they were the best years of our jobs. If we have seen this house at this worst, we have also seen this house at its best. There are no bosses greater, kinder, and more generous than you two. And I swear to my lord Jesus Christ, I pray every single morning for you two, for things to bloom in this household again, and for happiness to return. He is beginning to answer my prayers, ma'am. He is." Maria kissed the cross she was wearing in her necklace. Her words had made Noor extremely emotional, so she stood up and gave her a lasting hug.

"Thank you." She mouthed as she pulled away.

"Maria." Prem hesitated. "I'm sorry for all the incredibly tough times you've had to deal with. I'm deeply sorry." His eyes spelled out regret as he drew in a deep breath. "You are highly appreciated, and so is everyone else." He also looked around. "Thank you." He bowed his head slightly.

One of the cleaning crew members dropped the plastic brush she was holding and almost shouted the words, "for the change that is overdue!" Tears filled in her eyes as she let out a cheerful scream. In no time, every single staff member in the area feeling the same tremendous emotions had joined her and countless cheers rang through the house. Prem and Noor couldn't help but smile at their staff's hopeful and excited outpour.

"What is happening in this house? It is vibrating in bliss this morning. Did I wake up in the correct house? Did the sun rise from the west today? Are these my children?" Noor's bhuji walked into the dining hall amazed at the development before her.

"This is your house, and these are your children! Can you believe it?" Harleen ran over to her and grabbed her by her shoulders.

"I cannot! Someone pinch me and wake me up!" Bhuji's gentle voice was filled with joy.