XXII

"She was so sure he had done it. I remember Prem just freeze on the spot and collapse as Noor too ended up dropping down to her knees next to her sister. They both had lost the only two people they loved more than their own lives. The only support systems they had growing up when there was no one in the world for them to call their own. The two they had immense hopes and expectations from, the two they were incredibly proud of, the two people they raised like their children. The very next day, police after investigating, found evidence against Arav, Gurleen's fiancé. It turned out Arman was innocent after all, he probably found her in the same condition we saw her in and was just trying to cover her up and revive her. The "Ar.." that left Gurleen's mouth was for Arav not Arman. Prem was devastated, and Noor even more than him. Afraid of the company's name and reputation going bad with the news coming out and Noor getting charged for murder, her business associates hired the best lawyers to prove she shot in self-defense and only accidentally killed Arman. Prem let them do as they pleased legally but took it in his hands since then to make Noor's life hell. He wanted her to wish for death every single day, so he came up with new and creative ways to hurt her. At first, they were cruel and unbearable to watch. But as time went on and they both became more and more secluded and his punishments for her became less and less scheduled. He then only hurt her when she came across him and his punishments became slightly more tolerable over time. But no matter how torturous, how intense, how hurtful, Noor took on everything silently because she genuinely believed she deserved it. Till today, she doesn't understand why or how she let herself shoot. She's one of the most reasonable, logical, and patient people I know, even I don't understand how she was able to do that. It's just so unlike Noor...but that's the story for you. The love and the hate story of Prem and Noor." Bhuji sighed as she finished her story.

Harleen's tears had been flowing all along. She wiped them and sat in absolute silence for a while. "I'm absolutely speechless, bhuji. There is nothing I can say here to express my sadness that will weigh even a fraction of the grief you had to live through."

"In our culture, there's a popular phrase that says, in the end, "it's all karma." We must have done some horrific things in the past to have to live through those days. Can you imagine Harleen, I think about this so often, how that evening would have been completely different if Prem and Noor came home early that day for the dinner as planned." Bhuji said almost fantasizing the situation.

"Yeah..." Harleen nodded silently. "Why did the dinner even get cancelled?"

"It was for a meeting with a rather troubling client of Noor's. A huge Pharma guy, they were discussing acquisitions and he was just not willing to negotiate fairly. He had all sorts of terms and conditions that he wanted Noor to sign on, but she wouldn't. He's in prison now...God, what's his name?" Bhuji rubbed her forehead thinking hard. "Tim Brown."

"Tim Brown?" Harleen exclaimed. "Wait, Tim Brown the owner of Brown Pharmaceuticals?"

"Yeah, him." Bhuji answered a bit surprised at Harleen's jumping reaction.

"Are you sure?" Harleen waited for an answer with bated breath.

"Yeah, I'm absolutely sure." Bhuji confirmed.

"Oh my god! Oh my god..." Harleen repeated as she let go of Bhuji's hand and stared straight ahead. "Oh my god."

"What happened?" Bhuji questioned her in confusion.

"Ohh my god. No way. Oh my god." Harleen swallowed as scooted backwards.

"Harleen!" Bhuji tried shaking her out of the shock to get her to explain herself.

"Oh my god, bhuji. Noor didn't do it..." Harleen spoke fast, suddenly springing to her feet and dashing out the door.