XI

The night was tough for Noor, but it wasn't the first of its type; these nights visited her far too often, especially in the month of October. She had barely slept but got up the next morning and headed to work regardless. Bad dreams could rarely hold back Noor, they were nothing compared to the nightmare she was living as life.

Harleen had notified Noor of the work still pending for the new hotel. The inauguration would be in a month and many items remained unchecked on its to-do list. Noor decided to pay it a visit that evening to get updates on the progress. She and the head executives for the hotel sat on the rooftop taking in stunning sunset views as they discussed city permits and approval certificates. As their meeting headed to an end, the elevator doors opened, and none other than Prem appeared before them.

"Mr. Dhaliwal, it's a pleasure to have you." Noor's head architect walked over to Prem to welcome him in as the rest of the officials stood up.

"Thank you, Mr. Patel." Prem nodded at him as he made way towards Noor and company. "Gentlemen," Prem spoke once he reached them, "I apologize for intruding, but if I could have a minute with my wife, please."

"Of course, Mr. Dhaliwal." One of Noor's executives instantly responded as he put down his glass.

Noor, still relaxed back into the designer red sofa with her legs crossed and hand still holding a glass of wine, looked on as the men hurried towards the elevators. She admired Prem's golden skin under the red evening sky. When the men piled into the elevator, Prem looked over to his side at Harleen and then back at Noor. Noor gestured at Harleen and had her leave them as well.

Not wasting a moment, Prem threw the folder he was carrying with him on the table before Noor. "Sign it." He instructed.

Noor knew she had some leverage here so she took a sip out of her glass and let her eyes rest on the god-like man that stood before her without making a move. He was so perfect; she couldn't recall the last time she had an unrestricted amount of time to simply look at him. She stared at the man she literally worshiped as he watched on but didn't say anything. She eventually took another sip and uncrossed her legs to reach for the folder before her. Her eyes were still on Prem when she flipped it open and stood up. She walked over to Prem and put one hand at the back of his neck and smiled at the alerted look that took over his face. He watched her bring her face closer to his, pause for a second, and then go past his cheek and next to his ear.

"I need a pen." She whispered softly as she reached inside his suit jacket with the other hand and drew out the pen from the pocket of his shirt underneath. Annoyed by her proximity to him, Prem turned his face the other way as he waited for her to retrieve.

Noor backed away and found her seat on the sofa again. Her eyes only left Prem's for the split second it took for her to find the line on the bottom of each page where she would sign. Prem watched as she signed every page, without once searching for the content of the document. Once done, she flipped the folder over and grabbed her purse. Dropping his pen inside, she zipped it up and headed over to him.

"Won't you ask me what you just signed?" Prem asked as she held the folder out to him.

"Is it the rest of my life and every single breath I have left in your name?" Noor questioned.

Prem took the folder without answering.

"Because I can sign my next seven lives and every single breath I will take in them over in your name. I'm here to listen if this paper states something greater than that." Noor asserted before beginning to walk over to the elevator.

Prem knew she wasn't lying. They entered the elevator and started downwards. "It's the hotel. You just signed it over it in my name." He informed her.

"I know." Noor responded in the soft smile playing on her lips. "You've been eyeing it from way too long." She turned her face to look up at him. Prem simply shook his head in denial, refusing to accept her statement's indication of how well she reads him.