XXIII

Bhuji was to stay in hospital for the next three days. While things between Prem and Noor seemed to be improving, Noor knew her greed in the matter had always backfired in the past so she let things flow as they were. Despite coming across her several times in the next three days, Prem hadn't done anything to hurt her and that was enough to keep Noor happy.

Harleen, however, had been extremely distracted and distant at work. Out of the three days, she took two off. Noor didn't know what was on her mind but could tell she was up to something. It was on the day bhuji was discharged from the hospital that she and Prem found her waiting for them at their home with someone they had never seen before.

"Hi guys..." She slowly rose to her feet rubbing her hands together when she saw them.

"Harleen?" Noor was a bit confused.

"I have something very serious to tell you guys." She took a deep breath looking over her shoulder at the person behind her.

"Harleen, what's going on?" Bhuji delicately asked wondering if this had anything to do with the conversation they had in the hospital. She gestured at Prem to lead her towards the sofa next to Harleen.

"You guys take a seat too." Harleen told Prem and Noor nervously pointing to the space next to Bhuji. The bosses eyed her curiously but took a seat. "I..." She began clearing her throat. "I want you guys to meet Jacob. Him and I went to school together." Jacob pressed his lips together to form a small smile as he nodded at them. "He...used to work for Tim Brown before Tim was arrested."

"Okay." Bhuji encouraged Harleen to go on. Something inside her couldn't wait to hear what Harleen had to say.

"And I...would like to tell you guys something about Tim with Jacob's help." Harleen said as she looked at Jacob again.

"Harleen, why do we need to know anything about Tim?" Noor finally spoke up.

"Just hear me out, please." Harleen was restless. She knew she needed to make this brief and say what she must before they realize where she's headed and have a chance rebel. "Everyone in business knows Tim is in prison because of his unfair business practices, or at least that's the story the media ran. But that's not all he's in prison for. He did something far worse, something that never made it to the public. Something only the insiders like Jacob know. He used his nootropic pharma labs to engineer illegal drugs. Drugs that specifically target and interfere with the function of the lateral prefrontal cortex of the brain, nearly disabling all logic and reasoning in a person for a short period of time. He would then use those drugs on his business associates by spiking their drinks to get what he wants because they would agree to and sign on anything he proposed. And..." Harleen swallowed as she went on to say the next sentence. "Noor's drink was spiked the day you guys went to see him. Jacob watched him give the order to do it."

Noor clutched the arm rest of the sofa she was seated on as she speechlessly gasped for air. Tension piled up excessively in the air as the realization of what night Harleen was referring to fell upon everyone. The anniversary of the tragic night coming up was a fact they had in the back of their minds all month, but it wasn't till this moment that they realized it was tomorrow. Unable to speak or move, Prem lowered his eyes to the ground letting Harleen's words penetrate his mind.

"These drugs alter frontal lobe function for a short period of time. They don't intoxicate you, they have no side effects, and you cannot tell someone has consumed it simply by looking at them because they will appear absolutely normal, only their decisions will be off. That night, Tim wanted you to sign the contract so as per routine, his secretary offered you the spiked glass of water before he even entered the conference room. However, when he did walk in, he saw you were being accompanied by Mr. Dhaliwal, so he never actually ended up presenting the contract. He was expecting you alone. But you consumed the drink that evening and were under its influence for the rest of the night." Jacob explained coming forward.

Bhuji's hand covered her mouth to veil her distraught expression as she looked over at Noor. Noor, as if numb, stared straight ahead. Harleen thanked Jacob and softly gestured him to leave before walking over to Noor and getting on her knees before her.

"Whatever you did that night...was not you. It was the drug inside you." She said carefully as she placed her hand over Noor's. Noor instantly pulled her hand away and rose to her feet. Without a word or a look in anyone's direction she headed straight to her room. Her door slammed shut behind her. Sensing the family needs some time alone to cope with the news she had just broken to them, Harleen also decided to depart for the night.