XIV

Harleen sauntered back into Noor's room after fetching a nurse as the rough conversation she had just had with Prem ran though her mind. The nurse checked up on Noor and left the room.

"Did Prem leave?" Noor's weakly asked Harleen, breaking her line of thought.

"Huh?" Harleen asked as she looked up from the floor and over at Noor.

"Prem...did he leave?" Noor repeated her question.

"I don't believe this." Harleen shook her head getting up and walking over to Noor. "He just threatened me saying I would lose my job if you found out he was ever here and the first question you ask me is whether he left."

"I'm not surprised he said that." Noor's face let on a weak smile.

"But why aren't you?! He hurts you every single day! Why aren't you surprised by the fact that he cried all night next to your side?" Harleen realized she had raised her voice more than she intended to.

"He hurts me to the extent he can see me hurt. This level of pain is far beyond what he can bear to see me in so no, I'm not surprised that he cried all night next to me. Not because I put my life in danger to take him out of harm's way, he knows I will do that over and over again at any chance I get, but because he wouldn't know what to do with life if anything happened to me." Noor explained slowly as she stared straight ahead.

"If that is the case, then why does he hurt you in the first place?" Harleen couldn't understand.

"Because he loves me...unconditionally." Noor answered still looking straight ahead as if in a daydream.

"What?" Harleen couldn't believe what she heard.

"He desperately wants to hate me after what I did, but he just isn't able to and that makes him hate himself. Along with punishing me for what I did, he wants to punish himself for continuing to love me despite what I did. And no punishment could be more torturous than seeing the one you love in pain, so it serves both of his purposes, kind of like killing two birds with one stone. He knows I'm fairly stable mentally, physically, and financially so it's not easy to disturb my peace. However, if there is anyone, I have given complete control over myself and the power to absolutely destroy me, it's him. So, he takes it in his hand to hurt me a little at a time, which in turn hurts him and it goes on and on because he believes we both deserve it." Noor finished off.

"I have no words." Harleen blurted out bringing Noor's attention back to her. "You know Noor, I understand I can probably lose my job for saying this but I'm not going to hold back anymore. When I first saw your relationship with Prem, I was determined to get you out of there. I thought there couldn't be anything worse than what he puts you through but after witnessing Prem's condition last night, I've realized both of you are equally insane and I cannot believe there can exist a love like your and Prem's."

Noor's wanted to call on her usual cold boss face, but she always felt weak in front of Harleen so remained silent, letting her speak her mind.

"Noor, I apologize in advance for bringing this up." Harleen's eyes pleaded to be heard as she touched Noor's leg. "I don't know...what happened in October two years ago." She began as Noor's expression switched to stone cold. "But what I do know is that you guys love each other far too much to be living like this. And I know I'm out stepping my boundaries, but I want to help you guys. Please tell me what I can do to help you. Please." She offered without thinking.

Almost angry, Noor made a strong attempt in her weak condition to pull her leg out of Harleen's hold.

"Please." Harleen begged softly as she tightened her grip, unwilling to let go. "Please, boss."

"Harleen!" The rage in Noor's voice sent chills down Harleen's spine.

"I'm sorry." Harleen's voice broke as she felt tears filling up in her eyes.

Noor's heart dropped upon witnessing the tears in her assistant's innocent eyes. "Don't cry." She immediately told her as he held out her hand towards Harleen. "You remind me of someone very special. I can't see tears in your eyes."

Harleen grabbed Noor's hand and scooted upward on her bed. She wiped her cheek as her tears fell out. "I'm sorry." She apologized again.

"It's okay." Noor smiled reaching up to wipe her other cheek.

Noor ended up having to stay in the hospital for almost a whole week. Harleen grew much closer to her over the course of it. She shared details of her life with Noor in efforts to get her to open up about hers. Noor did open up about many things in her life but kept a safe distance from mentioning the October night that led to her present day life conditions. Harleen didn't force her. She wasn't dying to know what took place, but she desperately wanted to see Noor and Prem happy and together, so she made sure to at least develop a blanket of comfort around that topic and have a plenty of conversations about it.

"Honestly, if he brings home a new girl every few months, I'd bring home a new guy every few days if I were you." Harleen told Noor in one such conversation.

"Please." Noor rolled her eyes before letting the thought settle in her mind and eyeing Harleen. "Actually, you might be onto something..."

"Right?" Harleen exclaimed. "I mean, if you're really considering this...I know a guy. Send him a little gift and invite him over for dinner next week." Harleen carefully suggested.

Noor sat unsure for a moment but ended up giving Harleen a small nod of approval. Harleen jumped up in excitement before throwing her arms around Noor and rushing out of the room to make arrangements.

She's crazy. Noor thought as Harleen left the room.