Chapter 31: In the middle

"Why'd you give her this?"

I say visibly angered. There was no possible way he could weasel his way out, I'd recognize his taste of jewelry fro, anywhere.

"I have no idea what you're talking about brother."

"You know exactly what I'm talking about. Stop bullshitting me. You gave this bracelet to her. I know it."

Holding up the sparkling bracelet, I watch as his expression doesn't change. He stands up lifting himself off the bottom bed equaling me in height. Reaching for the same bracelet I quickly snatch it away from his grasp.

"What's it to you?" He says shrugging his shoulders in a amused way.

"I already told you, don't fucking go near her. Don't talk to her, don't touch her, keep you're fucking distance. I don't trust you."

"It's just a gift. I can do what I want with it. It's not like I'm taking your girl."

"It's the respect Larry. Respect me and what I say. You don't see me messing around with your ex's. Befriending them."

Shrugging he walks toward the bathroom.

"I'm not dealing with this." He scuffs.

"Yes you are."

Slamming the door shut I begin spiraling into words.

"What do you want?"

"You know exactly. Don't talk to her. Don't do shit."

"If that's what you want. Fine. Just stop bothering me with the same old stuff."

The moment he goes out of view, I find myself approaching the back. Too angered and distressed to pick back up whoever I had left things I plop myself beside the evidently confused Janelle.

"Um what happened?" She asks.

Fiddling with each charm conveniently placed in order I attempt at figuring out my next sentence. Each thought coming to a ramble.

"I..I don't want you guys hanging out as much. I don't trust my brother." I say gritting my teeth.

She stares for a few seconds before scuffing.

"Hmm. Comes again?"

"Larry. I don't want you guys getting close."

"And where did this come from? Over a bracelet?"

"No. It's deeper."

"Oh really? Well enlighten me because from my stance it looks like you're just being jealous."

"Jealousy has nothing to do with it Janelle. He every time he involves himself in my love life it always goes bad. Always."

"So you don't trust me?"

"On the contrary. It's him I don't trust."

Standing up I see her walk out clearly irritated. Reaching up I grab hold of her waist holding her in place.

"Wait wait-"

"No. I'm not going in the middle of this sibling drama. Whatever happened in the past is in the past. You should trust both of us that nothing would happen. I don't even see him in that way."

"Until you see that you're asking me to do something so unlike you.. I'm not messing with either of you."

"Hold up."

"No. I'm not holding up. You need to fix it. And don't involve me."

Releasing my grip I watch on as she makes her way toward the open door, closing it behind her. Leaving me to assess the predicament I was in by myself.