Chapter 23: Kiss

New Year's Eve parties were never my thing. I assisted the three last years to a party Max's family threw. The place was spectacular, the rooftop of a very important hotel, with rich and famous people.

I never found myself comfortable in those kind of situations. Feeling more like a trophy beside Max, even though I'd never felt very confident about myself.

This year was completely different. Yes, I was going to a party, and yes, people on it were wealthier than me, but nothing scandalous. Also, I was not the single company of a guy, I was actually invited because of me.

Ace gave a party in his parents' house. It was huge, white, modern, it had a big pool and an enormous backyard conditioned with heaters, bars, tables with food and music to make it even more incredible.

His parents and little sisters went for a quick trip to Italy, to visit his mom's family. Ace said he never went, he didn't want to miss the New Year's Eve party, that seemed like a pretty big deal for the guys.

The place was crowded. For some reason, every guy that tried to talk to me was a future doctor.

I wasn't complaining on that, to be honest.

In this case, his name was Paul. Yes, like my ex colleague. They didn't look anything alike, though. This guy had really dark hair and green eyes. He wasn't that tall and he had an Australian accent.

I just hoped he didn't try to kiss me too.

For some reason, this guy didn't understand that I actually wanted to become a physiotherapist. He thought I was just doing it because I wasn't able to study for medical school or whatever.

Hello, Dr. Shepherd. Not everyone wants to be a doctor.

He was really getting onto my nerves with this, so I decided to change the topic.

I did that three times.

Paul then began to talk about his ex girlfriend. Not really sure if this was the best topic when you just met a person but hey, it was something we had in common.

"She was just... so possessive, you know." He ran a hand through his wavy hair. "Do you wanna know what she used to do?"

"What?" I stumbled a little and tried to mask it by leaning on the table behind me. That last drink he gave me was really messing up with my head.

"She would spray some of her cologne on my clothes so that when I got out with my friends, I'd smell like her."

"Like a dog marking its territory." I laughed.

"Exactly!" He laughed too. He had a nice smile. "And she was like my mom. She was always asking if I had eaten, asking where I was going... it was suffocating."

"That just shows that she's insecure." I said making a face. Wow, my philosophic self had just come into the picture. That's what happens when you're drunk.

"I know. It ended up making me being obsessive too. And I don't like that." He took a sip of his drink and glanced around before staring back at me. "Are you single, Riley?"

I frowned. Was I single?

I glanced around and saw Luca talking to a girl. Did he want to hook up with her? Had he thought about me just for a moment? We weren't a couple, that he made it really clear. Then why did I feel like I owed him something? Why did I feel guilty? Why did I want to be that girl?

I nodded, my head spinning. "Yeah."

He smiled. He did have an amazing smile. Did he use to have braces? I had a thing with guys that wore braces.