Chapter 22: Magical

Taking care of Luca gave me an idea for his Christmas gift. It was incomplete and now I knew what to do to make it perfect.

I spent the whole Saturday taking care of him, making lunch and dinner for the guys, giving Luca his drugs and making him drink a lot of water.

Luca got 'mad' at me when he discovered that I cleaned the apartment. I say 'mad' since he didn't even have the strength to frown. He just told me not to talk to him just to call me five minutes later because he needed my company.

I woke up the next day beside him on the bed, my body crashed by half of his.

"Shit." I muttered, trying to push him off me. He was so heavy.

"Don't leave." He begged after I got up.

"How are you feeling?"

"I would say really good but since that would mean you're leaving me all by myself... I'm feeling like shit."

I laughed and sat cross-legged on the bed, looking at him. He ran a hand through his now longer hair as he stared back at me. It actually got tousled now, too short before to even move because of the wind.

"So you're feeling good?"

He nodded, grabbing my calf to pull me closer. "Yeah. I told you. I sometimes get sick and it's just for one day. I... I think I'm not eating very well lately. I'm not sleeping that well either."

"You need a caretaker." I chuckled, then gave him a half smile.

Luca's eyes searched mine for a moment, his thumb drawing circles on my leg, looking at me calmly. "I need you."

We stayed like that for a few seconds, our eyes bored into one another's until I cleared my throat. "I should get going."

"Why?" He asked sitting up, taking the covers with him.

"I'm going grocery shopping for Wednesday night. I can't go this week since I'm working."

"Wait, let me just have a shower, I'll go with you." He offered getting up.

"No, no. It's fine. You need to rest." I pushed him backwards again.

"But dinner is for the both of us."

"The you'll make everything look nice." I smiled at him.

"Take my credit card at least."

I stared at him pensively and sighed. "Fine. But just because you know I'm broke. I'll pay you back."

"I told you a million times, you don't need to." He nodded towards his wallet on the desk. "You already do too much for me."

"Here it is." I showed him the credit card and went to the door after waving at him.

"Wait! I don't get a kiss?"

I rolled my eyes and walked towards the bed, where Luca was already all comfy under the covers. I went to kiss him on the cheek but he turned his face, quickly cupping my face and pressing his lips against mine.

My heart race fastened. I wanted to surrender and kiss him, but the words of our last serious conversation pierced my brain. 'I don't want a relationship.'

'Then don't act like you're in one.'

I pushed him by the chest and breathed out hard, completely out of breath since he had caught me off guard. "Luca."

"Mhm?"

"Stop." A little frown appeared on his face as I turned around to leave.

If I didn't want to run mad, I needed to draw the line right there. A thicker one.